Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ginnibobinni
Regular Visitor

Launching Power BI Desktop 1st time gives model schema error

It says "Couldn't load the model schema." I click close and it looks like it will work. Then, I tried loading data from a local Excel worksheet and that won't work either, resulting in the same error.

I am on a Surface Pro 3, Windows 10, and behind a corporate firewall that requires authentication to access the internet. This is a new download/install of Power BI Desktop. Our O365 instance is in the government cloud, so I already know I cannot publish, but want to use Power BI just to generate the reports to show people.

What might be wrong?

Thank you,

Ginni

2 REPLIES 2
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@ginnibobinni, when did you get the error message? When you open the Power BI Desktop, or when you try to connect to some dataset, like excel or SharePoint Online?

It will be better if you provide more detailed error message so we can check what's the root cause of that error message. You can follow this blog for the details about how to enable tracing on Power BI Desktop (go to: File –> Options –> Diagnostics –> Enable Tracing). Then go to traces folder to check whether you can find something useful C:\Users\visong\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\Traces . Also have a check on error message in the Event Viewer.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Only thing similar I could find was this:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-desktop-running-on-Windows-Server-2012-Remote-Deskt...

You might reach out directly to those on the thread and see if they ever found a resolution.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.