Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

campelliann
Post Patron
Post Patron

LastDate vs MAX (date)

Hi,

So I was using Max (date) successfully to get the cummulative revenue in 2021 with a filter like date< max(date) on a measure. The max(date) with the filter context returns the correspondent month in the chart.

I tried the same thing with the lastdate, but it seems it ignores the filter context giving me in every month the revenue of the Lastdate(which is september).

I thought these functions would be similar.

Any ideas on why there is a difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@campelliann If you have it working, I'd walk away and declare victory. What does the LASTDATE version of that look like? This?

calculate(sum(Valores_Finais[Total]),filter(all('Z_Calendário Slicer'),'Z_Calendar Slicer'[YearMonth]<=LASTDATE('Z_Calendar Slicer'[YearMonth])),filter(all(Valores_Finais),Valores_Finais[Type]="Baseline"))

I don't see how that would work since you would be trying to compare a scalar to a table. And if it is this:

calculate(sum(Valores_Finais[Total]),filter(all('Z_Calendário Slicer'),LASTDATE('Z_Calendar Slicer'[YearMonth])),filter(all(Valores_Finais),Valores_Finais[Type]="Baseline"))

Then you would only get the last (biggest) [YearMonth] and would lose the < part.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
campelliann
Post Patron
Post Patron

First and foremost thank you for your help.

@Greg_Deckler @Anonymous the measure I am using is this: 

Consumo Baseline YTD =
calculate(sum(Valores_Finais[Total]),filter(all('Z_Calendário Slicer'),'Z_Calendar Slicer'[YearMonth]<=MAX('Z_Calendar Slicer'[YearMonth])),filter(all(Valores_Finais),Valores_Finais[Type]="Baseline"))

I am using this on a chart, where the months are in x axis (january-september) with Z_calendar slicer [YearMonth] field. What I do not get is why the Lastdate does not work  in this case to have an cumulative YTD revenue and MAX does- I read that its a table (not a scalar), but LASTDATE is supposed to consider the filter context, so I  do not get why I always get the revenue of September with the LASTDATE.

@campelliann If you have it working, I'd walk away and declare victory. What does the LASTDATE version of that look like? This?

calculate(sum(Valores_Finais[Total]),filter(all('Z_Calendário Slicer'),'Z_Calendar Slicer'[YearMonth]<=LASTDATE('Z_Calendar Slicer'[YearMonth])),filter(all(Valores_Finais),Valores_Finais[Type]="Baseline"))

I don't see how that would work since you would be trying to compare a scalar to a table. And if it is this:

calculate(sum(Valores_Finais[Total]),filter(all('Z_Calendário Slicer'),LASTDATE('Z_Calendar Slicer'[YearMonth])),filter(all(Valores_Finais),Valores_Finais[Type]="Baseline"))

Then you would only get the last (biggest) [YearMonth] and would lose the < part.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@campelliann @Anonymous The only correction I would make to that article is that you can use MAX in a table context versus scalar by simply doing:

{ MAX('Dates'[Date]) }

In that respect, it is identical then to what LASTDATE returns. In other words, LASTDATE is a utterly useless function.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.