Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PeterChen
Helper I
Helper I

Last four quarters rate

I have a data like this:

image.png

I just show a simple table, but column Date is from 2015 to 2019/6/30, column Group has 4 groups (A-D), and column value is numeric that the numbers are different rather than all 5. What I want is create a measure to add up last four quarters. Therefore, if the max date in column Date is 2019/6/28, then the new measure, L4QrAll, is the total value add up from 2018Q3 to 2019Q2 (4 quarters) without considering groups. Suppose last 4 quarters total value of all groups is 50. Then, all should display 50.

I simply create fake result as below:

image.png

Next, another measure, L4QrEach, for each group, adding up last four quarters value. Last, I will calculate the rate, L4QrEach / L4QrAll.

YQ             Group    L4QrAll    L4QrEach   RATE

2018Q1     A            50            30              0.6

2018Q2     A            50            30              0.6

2018Q3     A            50            30              0.6

2018Q4     A            50            30              0.6

2019Q1     A            50            30              0.6

2019Q2     A            50            30              0.6

2018Q1     B            50            20              0.4

2018Q2     B            50            20              0.4

2018Q3     B            50            20              0.4

2018Q4     B            50            20              0.4

2019Q1     B            50            20              0.4

2019Q2     B            50            20              0.4

Finally, we get 0.6 for A and 0.4 for B. This is the only two values I want because I will use these rates to plot bar graph.

image.png

Above plot is what I want. X-axis is Group. Y-axis is Rate. There are 2 bars in each group because there are another column said group2. Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jbrijalba
Helper I
Helper I

If I understand you correctly you want to put all the Dates in to a YYYYQ format:

(YQ = Concatenate(DateField.[Year], Concatenate("Q", DateField[QuarterNo])) As a Column

Then you want a Total of the last 4 Quarters 

(L4QrAll = Calculate(Sum(ValueColumn), Filter(All(TableName), YQ  = // This is where I cannot make it dynamic however it will work but you will have to change it when we enter a new quater// "2019Q2" || YQ = "2019Q1" || YQ= "2018Q4" || YQ= "2018Q3")) As a Measure

Then a Measure for the Group Values

(L4QrEach = Calculate(Sum(ValueColumn), Filter(TableName, YQ  = "2019Q2" || YQ = "2019Q1" || YQ= "2018Q4" || YQ= "2018Q3")) As a Measure

Finally the Rate

Rate = Divide(L4QrEach, L4QrAll) As a Measure

Note:  This will not create a table like the one you had. This is due to level of detail. However, if you create a table like yours without the YQ field it will aggregate to the group level.

Power BI.PNG

I hope this helps

This is the data I created to test it.

Excel.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jbrijalba
Helper I
Helper I

If I understand you correctly you want to put all the Dates in to a YYYYQ format:

(YQ = Concatenate(DateField.[Year], Concatenate("Q", DateField[QuarterNo])) As a Column

(L4QrAll = Calculate(Sum(ValueColumn), Filter(All(TableName), YQ  = // This is where I cannot make it dynamic however it will work but you will have to change it when we enter a new quater// "2019Q2" || YQ = "2019Q1" || YQ= "2018Q4" || YQ= "2018Q3")) As a Measure

(L4QrEach = Calculate(Sum(ValueColumn), Filter(TableName, YQ  = "2019Q2" || YQ = "2019Q1" || YQ= "2018Q4" || YQ= "2018Q3")) As a Measure

Finally the Rate

Note:  This will not create a table like the one you had. This is due to level of detail. However, if you create a table like yours without the YQ field it will aggregate to the group level.

Power BI.PNG

I hope this helps

Excel.PNG

@jbrijalba wrote:

Finally the Rate

Power BI.PNG

I hope this helps

Excel.PNG

Is it possible to use DATESINPERIOD?

L4QrAll = CALCULATE(SUM('dt'[Value]),DATESINPERIOD('dt'[date].[Date],MAX('dt'[date].[Date]),-4,QUARTER))

And then subset the last value. Not sure about this.

I do not see why not. Duplicate the measure and give it a try. Maybe give Today() a try instead of MAX(date). I think either will work.

@jbrijalba wrote:

I do not see why not. Duplicate the measure and give it a try. Maybe give Today() a try instead of MAX(date). I think either will work.

After calculate last four quarters for adding up, how can I subset the last value in each group....

Can you give more context? Not sure what you mean. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.