Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbroderick
Frequent Visitor

Label density and continuous x-axis

Can anyone explain why label density only shows as an option when there is a continuous x-axis? Labels reflect the value on the y-axis and I don't see why it should matter whether the x-axis is continuous or categorical. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @mbroderick 

In a Line chart, Label Density feature is available when the X-axis display numbers or dates, and X-axis Type is set as Continuous.

The reason is that when the X-axis is Category type, there is a scroll bar for us to see each data point clearly by scrolling right or left. And if X-axis values are not numbers or dates, the axis is Category type by default. But if it's Continuous type, there is no scroll bar and don't have labels in X-axis for each data point. The Label Density is used in this scenario.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CMorgado
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is something that my stakeholders also point as a flaw in Power BI. Since labels are something that always should show.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @mbroderick 

In a Line chart, Label Density feature is available when the X-axis display numbers or dates, and X-axis Type is set as Continuous.

The reason is that when the X-axis is Category type, there is a scroll bar for us to see each data point clearly by scrolling right or left. And if X-axis values are not numbers or dates, the axis is Category type by default. But if it's Continuous type, there is no scroll bar and don't have labels in X-axis for each data point. The Label Density is used in this scenario.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Why is this not possible for the Y-axis?

Thanks for the developer reasoning, Lin.

But I still don't see why label density must necessarily be excluded from a non-continuous x-axis. I see that such an axis provides left/right scrolling and a continous one doesn't, but a non-continuous one then requires users to mouse over high and low values to see what they are instead of being able to see them at-a-glance as in a continous x-axis. The option for a non-continuous x-axis is then all or nothing. "All" creates a busy-looking chart, while "nothing" demands extra user interaction to see what might otherwise just show depending on the dashboard creator's choice of label density.

I did mark your answer as the solution, and I appreciate your response. 

Above discussion is great for analysing against time

However, we need Density customisation for non-continuous X axis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.