Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

mbroderick
Frequent Visitor

Label density and continuous x-axis

Can anyone explain why label density only shows as an option when there is a continuous x-axis? Labels reflect the value on the y-axis and I don't see why it should matter whether the x-axis is continuous or categorical. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @mbroderick 

In a Line chart, Label Density feature is available when the X-axis display numbers or dates, and X-axis Type is set as Continuous.

The reason is that when the X-axis is Category type, there is a scroll bar for us to see each data point clearly by scrolling right or left. And if X-axis values are not numbers or dates, the axis is Category type by default. But if it's Continuous type, there is no scroll bar and don't have labels in X-axis for each data point. The Label Density is used in this scenario.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CMorgado
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is something that my stakeholders also point as a flaw in Power BI. Since labels are something that always should show.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @mbroderick 

In a Line chart, Label Density feature is available when the X-axis display numbers or dates, and X-axis Type is set as Continuous.

The reason is that when the X-axis is Category type, there is a scroll bar for us to see each data point clearly by scrolling right or left. And if X-axis values are not numbers or dates, the axis is Category type by default. But if it's Continuous type, there is no scroll bar and don't have labels in X-axis for each data point. The Label Density is used in this scenario.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Why is this not possible for the Y-axis?

Thanks for the developer reasoning, Lin.

But I still don't see why label density must necessarily be excluded from a non-continuous x-axis. I see that such an axis provides left/right scrolling and a continous one doesn't, but a non-continuous one then requires users to mouse over high and low values to see what they are instead of being able to see them at-a-glance as in a continous x-axis. The option for a non-continuous x-axis is then all or nothing. "All" creates a busy-looking chart, while "nothing" demands extra user interaction to see what might otherwise just show depending on the dashboard creator's choice of label density.

I did mark your answer as the solution, and I appreciate your response. 

Above discussion is great for analysing against time

However, we need Density customisation for non-continuous X axis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.