Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jett254
Regular Visitor

Label categorical data - Please help!

Hi,

I'm working with market research data that I imported from SPSS (first exporting to Excel and then connecting from there).  Some of my variables are categorical - for instance, Ethnicity -- where in SPSS they were coded as 1=Caucasian 2=AA 3=Asian.  I originally imported my data with the data labels and everything categorical was a string which did not work well, so I reimported my data as numeric -- however, let's say I am reporting a stacked bar by Year on the axis, and I have the variable for Race as Legend.  Now my Race values are labeled as 1, 2, 3 instead of Caucasian, AA, Asian, etc...  

What is the best way to handle this?  Is there a way to label the data?  Or compute a new measure with IF statements into a string column?  Help!!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Add a table with the translation of ID to Description, join it to the fact table on the ID, then use the Description field as your category.  Below I show a partial data model that I have used, where "Answer" is a number and "Translation" is the description of that number (1 = Strongly Disagree, 2 = Disagree, etc).

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Add a table with the translation of ID to Description, join it to the fact table on the ID, then use the Description field as your category.  Below I show a partial data model that I have used, where "Answer" is a number and "Translation" is the description of that number (1 = Strongly Disagree, 2 = Disagree, etc).

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps

David

That is a great approach.  

I ended up finding two other solutions, but yours is much better.

I did a grouping of the variable, and I also did a new calculated column using a SWITCH function.

But moving forward, I will create a data label file from SPSS for Market Research data and set the relationship, so I'm really glad I asked!

I tried out this solution and I'm running into an issue.

So, my answer data table looks like:

Unique ID

Question1

Question2

Question3

Question4

Let's say Question 1 responses are 1 and 2 where 1="Yes" and 2="No".  Let's say Question 2 responses in the data are 1, 2 and 3 where 1 = Not at all likely" 2 "Moderately likely" and 3 = "Extremely Likely".  I only have the numeric responses that correspond to those labels in my data.

So I have another table that has 3 colums:

Variable Name

Variable Value

Variable Label

It would have Question 1, 1, Yes; Question 1, 2, No.

How can I link those together so I can label my data in tables and graphs?

- Concatenate the Question# with the response value (e.g. Question1-1, Question2-3)

- Do the same on the decode table with name and value

- Join concatenated column on fact table to concatenated column on new decode table

Note that this method might require a lot of maintenance.

You can also look into splitting the responses into two tables, with survey identifier, question# and response values (e.g. "YesNoTab", "LikelyTab") with each pointing to its own decode table.  A table with survey identifier can be used for the one-side from both (or all) response tables.

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.