Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

blazeken
Regular Visitor

LOOKUPVALUE returns blank and unable to recognize dates

I have two tables

a. BALANCES: contains balances of certain accounts, denominated in the local currency

b. FXRATES: contains conversion rates to convert from USD to whatever the local currency is. 

BALANCES contains the following columns:

a. ReckoningDate - in date format

b. AccountCode - in text format

c. LC Balance - a number

d. USDBalance - a calculated column with the following formula

USDBalance = Balances[LCBalance]*LOOKUPVALUE(FXRates[PerUSD],FXRates[ReckonDate], Balances[ReckonDate],FXRates[Currency],RELATED(Master[CCY]))   ]

FXRATES contains the following columns:

a. ReckoningDate - in date format

b. Currency - a three character text (e.g., GBP, EUR, AUD, etc.)

c. FXRate - in number format which has the actual exchange rate quote

d. PerUSD- a standardized quote in number format which can be used as a multiplier

For some reason, the calculated column Balances[USDBalance] shows a blank for newly entered and refreshed data for the month of August, whereas it is populated accordingly for the month of July and any date earlier than that. I have narrowed down the problem to the fact that the LOOKUPVALUE formula could not find the August data which I loaded into both BALANCES and FXRATES tables. 

Here is a background of my process:

1. I download excel reports from various source websites

2. I run a script to convert them into tabular format

3. I append each month's data to an Access Database

4. I refresh the Power BI Data model to capture these recently loaded data. 

Here is what I have done so far in an attempt to fix this issue.

1. I have reinstalled Power BI 64-bit version

2. I have deleted the August data from the access database and re-imported the data from excel. 

3. I have run separate visualizations on the BALANCES and FXRATES tables independently and I can see that Power BI is able to graph the data properly with the August data reflected on the x-axis. 

4. I have checked and verified that the data types are the same - in date format on Power BI. 

5. In query editor, I have modified the query to even convert the ReckoningDate fields in both the BALANCES and FXRATES queries to date format

6. I have expanded the format of the date to show even the time stamp and I can see that they are all as of a certain date at 12:00:00 AM. 

7. I do not see any duplicates in the data, and I have monitored the tables accordingly to see that indeed the appropriate data exists on the table for the LOOKUPVALUE to work.

8. In LOOKUPVALUE, I replaced the search values to constants and can check that the formula does not work because it could not find the dates.  I can see that the dates are actually present in both tables and shown in the same format. 

Does anyone have an idea of another potential solution?  At this point, I am only looking for potential ideas to try.  I am unable to share or paste the actual data here given its sensitive nature.  Let me know if you need additional information to address the issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you Dale.  I have solved the issue. 

In the schema, even though the LOOKUPVALUE formula only warrants that both the BALANCES and FXRATES tables are populated, apparently, I will also need to populate a third table (BENCHMARK table) which has a relationship with the Master Date Table. My conclusion is that there may be a completeness requirement for the formulae to work.  Do you have an idea why that is?  Please see my schema below. 

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @blazeken,

1. Are there any error messages?

2. Is there a relationship between Balances and Master?

3. Did the formula work once?

Could you please provide a dummy sample? It's hard to find out the cause without data.

My test:
LOOKUPVALUE returns blank and unable to recognize dates.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Dale.  I have solved the issue. 

In the schema, even though the LOOKUPVALUE formula only warrants that both the BALANCES and FXRATES tables are populated, apparently, I will also need to populate a third table (BENCHMARK table) which has a relationship with the Master Date Table. My conclusion is that there may be a completeness requirement for the formulae to work.  Do you have an idea why that is?  Please see my schema below. 

Capture.JPG

Hi @blazeken,

Could you please share the formula? What I can guess only is the unique value can't be determined due to there are many 1:* relationships. If you can post some snapshots about the error, that would be great.

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The LOOKUPVALUE formula is what I shared in my first post. 

The reason the LOOKUPVALUE formula was not populating in BALANCSE was because the cross-filter between DateMaster and Benchmark (as shown in the schema) was set as "BOTH", hence requiring that the August values be present in the Benchmark table as well. 

Hi @blazeken,

The formula in your first post only have two search column parameters. So I don't know how you will add the third table. The formula should work. I have no other idea without data.

Best Regards!

Dale

Thank you for your help Dale.  This issue is now solved. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.