Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

LOOKUPVALUE : "a table wuith multiple value was supplied where a single value was expected

Hi Guys,

So I have this master table (Rate table)

YearRegionBranchTarget rate
2018A09880.00 %
2018A09980.00 %
2018B10080.00 %
2019A09895.00 %
2019A09995.00 %
2019B10095.00 %

I intent to use a lookup based on the Year and Branch, to get my rate for my Fact table. 

So I create this measure :

Target rate related = LOOKUPVALUE('Target'[Target rate], 'Target'[Branch],DISTINCT('Region Branch'[Branch]), 'Target'[Year], VALUES('Date'[Year]))

The table RegionBranch is my Dimension Table connected to my FactTable, so in that formula, we didin't see my fact table it self. I supposed this is normal, right ?

However the measure I created, returns error :  "Calculation error in measure Target [Target  rate related]; A table with multiple value was supplied where a single value was expected"

Can advice on which data it says multiple value ? Coz, in my target, I'm positive if it filtered based on Year, there will be only one branch.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@admin_xlsior 

Could you share your file?

Give this measure a shot

Target Work rate =
VAR myyear =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Year] )
VAR mybranch =
    VALUES ( 'Region Branch'[Branch] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGE ( 'Target'[Target rate] ),
        'Target'[Branch] IN mybranch,
        'Target'[Year] = myyear
    )

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@admin_xlsior 

Try replacing VALUES with MAX

Target rate related =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Target'[Target rate],
    'Target'[Branch], MAX ( 'Region Branch'[Branch] ),
    'Target'[Year], MAX ( 'Date'[Year] )
)

Regards
Zubair

To perry,

The diagram is something like below :

image.png

It has some duplication on Region, but for some reason we need that, and it's not the issue here 🙂

But for the branch, I can assured there is only one per year on my target table.

To Zubair,

Thanks, it's worked... Although I don;t understand why DISTINCT or VALUES not applied here ? I thought it will also make sure it elliminate duplicate ? DISTINCT with blank and VALUES with no blank, right ? 

By using MAX, how it's relate with Branch or year ? that function is to return the maximum of a value right ?

Kindly enlighten me 🙂

Thanks,

@admin_xlsior 

VALUES function causes problem at the total row/Column. Because at the Total Row/Column, we have multiple values so it throws that error.

That's why we should use alternatives like Max/Min/SelectedValue etc

Regards
Zubair

H Zubair,

Many thanks for your explanation.

Mind if I extend a bit since now I'm using MAX function. And the interesting part is, if somehow in my report, I don't display Branch, why it is shows the minimum of my Rate percentage value ? Actually I'm hoping it will be average, but before I do anything with my measure, currently it show the minimum value (while we using MAX instead)

My measure now is same like your advice (and it works for the lookup when I display Branch)

Target Work rate = LOOKUPVALUE('Target'[Target rate], 'Target'[Branch],MAX('Region Branch'[Branch]), 'Target'[Year], MAX('Date'[Year]))

I've changed my Target table value to be like like this :

2018A09880.00 %
2018A09980.00 %
2018B10065.00 %
2018B10270.00 %
2019A09895.00 %
2019A09995.00 %
2019B10080.00 %
2019B10280.00 %

Currently it shows 65% in the year of 2018, while branch not in the report.

Thanks in advance,

@admin_xlsior 

Without the Branch Field, it should take the Branch 102 i.e. max of all brannches for 2018 and return the value 70%

Year Region Branch Target rate
2018 A 098 80.00 %
2018 A 099 80.00 %
2018 B 100 65.00 %
2018 B 102 70.00 %
2019 A 098 95.00 %
2019 A 099 95.00 %
2019 B 100 80.00 %
2019 B 102 80.00 %

Regards
Zubair

Hi Zubair,

Yes, that was my 1st thought as well, but the actual is, it did shows the minimum value instead, which is I understand it is weird. 

Anyhow, is it possible for the measure to show the average of it? So with my data ->

2018A09880.00 %
2018A09980.00 %
2018B10065.00 %
2018B10270.00 %

In average it will shows 73.75%

Thanks,

@admin_xlsior 

Could you share your file?

Give this measure a shot

Target Work rate =
VAR myyear =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Year] )
VAR mybranch =
    VALUES ( 'Region Branch'[Branch] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGE ( 'Target'[Target rate] ),
        'Target'[Branch] IN mybranch,
        'Target'[Year] = myyear
    )

Regards
Zubair

Hi Zubair,

It worked. Many thanks for your help. 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@admin_xlsior can you share relationship diagram and in which table you want rate from rate table.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.