Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

LOOKUPVALUE and Random Blanks

OK, I can't share the actual source data so I will try to be very clear.

I have fact_Inventory table like this:

Product_Key

I have another table, dim_Product that has data like this:

Product_Key,SourceItemId

dim_Product[Product_Key] -> fact_Inventory[Product_Key] is the relationship

If I create a column in Inventory table like this:

SourceProductID = LOOKUPVALUE('dim_Product'[SourceProductID],'dim_Product'[Product_Key],'fact_Inventory'[Product_Key])

I end up with random blank values for the SAME Product_Key. In other words, for some lines of 367 I will get the correct SourceItemId returned, 14456, but for other rows I will get a blank returned. 

Now, if I use this formula:
SourceProductID = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('dim_Product'),'dim_Product'[Product_Key] = 'fact_Production'[Product_Key]),[SourceProductID])

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there some kind of bug in LOOKUPVALUE?

So bizarre.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
10 REPLIES 10
MAYOD
Regular Visitor

Hi Greg, FYI I encountered the same problem today for the first time, and your MAXX workaround worked fine for me as well.

Similar scenario where I was trying to add a lookup in my Spend Fact table to lookup a value in the Contract Fact table. Spend Fact not directly related to Contract Fact, and not filtering any other tables, but is filtered indirectly by tables that also filter and are filtered by Contract Fact.

I also tried creating a new calculated table with no connections summarizing the column from my Spend Fact that I'm using as the lookup search value and was able to return the expected value, so it does appear that the issue is related to the table relationships - very strange that it should be affecting calculated columns!

MartynRamsden
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Greg_Deckler 

Do you still get blanks if you use RELATED?

Best regards,

Martyn

Yeah, can't use RELATED in LOOKUPVALUE. Plus, there is not relationship in that direction.

Yes, just trying to get the ID into the table, saves on measure calculations/processing not having to look those up on the fly every time.

It's mind boggling. Wish I could share the PBIX file as I am wondering if it has something to do with the scale of the data. 

Here is an image of the model, perhaps someone can see a relationship that is causing an issue, I don't see it. Inventory filters nothing.

pic.png

Latest book!:

Hi @Greg_Deckler 

I wasn't suggesting you use RELATED inside of LOOKUPVALUE but in place of it.

Since you have a 1 to many relationship between dim_Product and Inventory_v, surely you can use the following as a calculated column inside the fact table:

SourceProductID = RELATED ( dim_Product[SourceProductID] )

I appreciate it doesn't explain the weird behaviour you're seeing with LOOKUPVALUE but may give you the results you're after.

Best regards,

Martyn

I appreciate your suggestion @MartynRamsden . Unfortunately I cannot use RELATED because the relationship direction is from dim_Products to Inventory and I am trying to create the column in Inventory. I already have a work-a-round using FILTER and MAXX, I just can't explain the behavior of LOOKUPVALUE. 

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler did you ever manage to find an answer to your question? I have the same issue and see no other option than to use merge queries in Power Query.

In my example I have two calculated columns:

Statuscode = LOOKUPVALUE(DimStatus[Statuscode], DimStatus[StatusKey], DimSnapshot[StatusKey])
AccountNaam = LOOKUPVALUE(DimAccount[Naam], DimAccount[AccountKey], DimSnapshot[AccountKey])

Both columns have random blanks (for Statuscode and Accountnaam) for the same lookup value (StatusKey and AccountKey). In my case the tables only have an indirect relationship through a fact table, so filtering is out of the question. I will try the workaround you present in your question.  

20201022-BugLOOKUPVALUE.PNG

I can now succesfully remove blanks using the following formulas, thanks to @Greg_Deckler:

Statuscode = MAXX(FILTER(ALL(DimStatus), DimStatus[StatusKey] = DimSnapshot[StatusKey]), [Statuscode])
AccountNaam = MAXX(FILTER(ALL(DimAccount), DimAccount[AccountKey] = DimSnapshot[AccountKey]), [Naam])

@Greg_Deckler bit confused, your original post says FACT_Inventory related with Dim_Product, many to one

In your relationship, don't see FACT_Inventory??

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Sorry, fact_Inventory = Inventory_v

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

I have used your dataset and created .pbix but i am not getting any blank value.

Can you please review attached file ?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXJ3imo8FRtmCqtxaarZBgIkXw3?e=UYn670

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=6D54F0A829DEC965&resid=6D54F0A829DEC965%213114&authkey=ACEy9EIs9..." width="98" height="120" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Greg_Deckler Hey how is going? So Inventory table is just another table in which you want this column?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.