Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stefanik
Helper I
Helper I

Kusto query limits

Hi all,
accondingly to microsoft docs (https://docs.microsoft.com/bs-latn-ba/azure/data-explorer/kusto/concepts/querylimits )
Kusto query are allowed to return max 500000 rows or 64MB, as default parameters. 

With set truncationmaxrecords /set truncationmaxsize, we can override that defaults, but from my tests it
seems to be right only if i resize them down: if i try to use for instance set truncationmaxrecords = 600000, PowerBi desktop
retrieves only the first 500K (??? ... my test query has of course more than 500K rows). On the contrary, if i use set truncationmaxrecords = 100000, it gives me the first 100K (as expected). .

Same behaviour if i publish the report to the service. Is this the expected behaviour?
i mean, it is possible to go above the default ones?

Thx
Stefanik

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @stefanik ,

Could you kindly share some screessnhots around the issue please? This is not helping much.

Add error screesnhot as well which you are facing.

As far as I know, the default value (500000 rows or 64MB) is up to limit. 

Best Regards,

Yuna

Thx for your reply.

In reality there isn't any error at all (or at least i'm not able to find it). No refresh error.

Simply, after the refresh, the number of rows are not that expected.

I run a Kusto query that return (from azure portal) 245K rows (this is another test case but the behaviour seems to be the same as my first post). The table in powerbi hold at max 32K rows! 

Each row has a field for a stack trace string that could be big, and i point to the limit of 64MB as the source of the "problem".

If i use set truncationmaxrecords = 10000, the query correctly returns 10K (instead of 32K), but if i set a value greter that 64MB (like for instance 127000000 about 125MB) nothing happen: only 32K rows.

If you say the limit has to be intended as up limit (as test seems to show), there was my misunderstand about them.

I'm asking because from the doc you can see an example like this:

set notruncation;

MyTable | take 1000000

that let me think i can go above the defaults!

Thx

Stefanik

p.s even with set notruncation; -> 32K rows

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.