Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EdEvetts
Helper II
Helper II

Key Word analysis

Hi

I have a data model with some columns which hold text responses, from which I would like to extract all of the words individually into a list for use in a report. I know something like this can be done using key phrase detection in Cognitive Services, but does anyone know of a way this can be done inside of Power BI?

thanks Ed

7 REPLIES 7
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @EdEvetts,

Could you be more precisely with your requirement by posting some sample data and your expected result, so that we can better assist on it? Smiley Happy

Regards

Do you literally want EVERY word?  Or just key words/topics/entities (i.e. a machine learning solution)?  Or do you have a list of stop words that you want to omit?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you post a bit of sample data and what you would like to end up with? For example, let's say you have this:

ID,Text

1, These are some words

2, These are some more words

And you want:

ID,Word

1,These

1,are

1,some

1,words

2,These

2,are

2,some

2,more

2,words

?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler @v-ljerr-msft @dkay84_PowerBI

Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for the vagueness. Just to give my question a bit of context. I have a Risk report and I am using the word cloud visual in the report to pick out the top 30 words from risk commentary - you can configure the word cloud with stop words. When I use the cloud to filter the risks in a table on the report - based on the word selected - it works but only temporarily. Once you click anywhere else on the report it loses the selection. I did hope I could use the include function available in some charts, but couldn't get that to work. So I was thinking I could create a list of the top 30 words displayed and then use this to filter the data. 

The data looks like this 

Risk Number

Risk Description

Extend business intelligence to everyone. Get dedicated capacity for your team and enhanced performance—without purchasing per-user licenses.

Go from data to insights in minutes. Any data, any way, anywhere. And all in one view.

Power BI is a suite of business analytics tools that deliver insights throughout your organization. Connect to hundreds of data sources, simplify data prep, and drive ad hoc analysis. Produce beautiful reports, then publish them for your organization

Into this (not an exact replica, but hopefully demonstrates the point), from which I could then create a slicer or something like that.

Risk Number

Key Words

business intelligence

capacity

enhanced

performance

purchasing

per-user

licenses

data

insights

minutes

data

anywhere

view

Power BI

suite

business analytics

tools

Deliver

insights

thanks Ed

Since your key words include individual words and n-grams, you are really looking at something more like topic or entity extraction.  You can configure a machine learning model or use something like Cognitive Services from MSFT to do this type of work, and then load the results into Power BI to give you the results you are looking for.  I don't think just using a list of stop words will allow you to acheive your desired result.

OK thanks @dkay84_PowerBI I'll try that route

thanks Ed

@EdEvetts

A temporary Solution will be Work with Edit Interactions to prevent when you click in another chart lose the selection in WordCloud Visual.

Lima - Peru

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.