Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Helper I
Helper I

Keeping data updated

HI!

So my question is:

How can i constantly keep my data in power bi updated? I have data from an SQL Database, and i would like that the data on Power BI update like 1 time per day, getting the most recent version of the database. Can this be an automatic process? what can i do? I´ve searched for Power Automate but i dont know the best answer, so i aprecciate some help!

TY A LOT!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @170323003 ,

If you want to refresh your data in power bi service please refer to Configure scheduled refresh

If you want to refresh your data in power bi desktop. As of now, Automatic refresh is not available within Power BI Desktop. The only refresh option within BI Desktop is the manual Refresh you find in the top ribbon. Here is an idea: Auto refresh data in Power BI desktop 

And you can also refer to  Automatic page refresh in Power BI with direct query data source.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @170323003 ,

If you want to refresh your data in power bi service please refer to Configure scheduled refresh

If you want to refresh your data in power bi desktop. As of now, Automatic refresh is not available within Power BI Desktop. The only refresh option within BI Desktop is the manual Refresh you find in the top ribbon. Here is an idea: Auto refresh data in Power BI desktop 

And you can also refer to  Automatic page refresh in Power BI with direct query data source.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @170323003 ,

You will need an On-Premises gateway. This can either be the Personal or Enterprise version, but be mindful that the gateway will not refresh your data if the workstation that it runs on is switched off, so running on a laptop or similar that is switched off often is not the best choice.

As an example, in the past I have taken an old company workstation that was due for disposal, installed the Personal version of On-Premises gateway on it (doesn't require Admin authentication!), and left it running in a server room connected to the network to purely run PBI Service data refreshes on.

From here, it's as simple as setting up your datasets to refresh in the Power BI Service. Once you have published a report, go into the PBI Service and select to view 'Datasets' within your Workspace ('Datasets + dataflows' if you have the New Look switched on). Next to your dataset, you will see a button called 'Scheduled Refresh'. In here, select the days/times you want the report to be auto-refreshed and the PBI Service will do this automatically (again, providing that your gateway machine is switched on and has access to your SQL server).

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.