Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep rows with unmatching data when filtering

Hi!

I recently started exploring the capabilities of PBI, and have run into a scenario that is pretty straight forward, but where I can't seem to find a straight forward solution.

Let's say I have two tables in this simplified version.

Table 1 contains sales targets based on year, country and product on the form below. Targets are only based on year, country and product!

YEAR | COUNTRY | PRODUCT | SALES_TARGET

2015       Spain         Bikes             100

2015       Spain         Socks            200

2016       Spain         Bikes             150

2016       Spain         Socks            250

Table 2 contains sales data where each row represents one item being sold (Bike in this case), but it also shows some additional attributes on the product, Let's say we have the following data available. No sales exists on colour Yellow though!

YEAR | COUNTRY | PRODUCT | COLOUR

2015      Spain           Bikes          Red

2015      Spain           Bikes          Blue

To connect the targets with the sales I have created a key in both tables based on YEAR, COUNTRY and PRODUCT, so I have a one-to-many relationship between them.

I have successfully managed to create a dashboard summarizing sales and comparing them to the targets on the following format:

YEAR | COUNTRY | PRODUCT | TARGET | SALES

2015      Spain           Bikes          100         95

2016      Spain           Bikes          150         155

So far so good, but now I run into trouble. When I add a slicer, to filter out sales based on the COLOUR attribute, everything works fine as long as I have sales that match my selection. If no sales are matching then I  also lose my target values.

For example If i select RED or BLUE, all data is shown correctly as I have sales on those colours, but If I select Yellow I lose all data for Spain, including the targets that should remain the same.

What would like to achieve is to be able to filter on colour Yellow, and still see the targets for the different years, and just see 0 or even null as sales. The targets are still the same, and are not based on colour, I just want the actual sales data to be affected by my colour slicer.

I'm sure this must be possible? What would you reccomend for a solution?

I've tried different relationships, I've tried merging tables and I've tried creating a new table with the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function. They all fail on the filtering issue.

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

I'm wondering how you would select the color yellow, if the color is just in your sales-table, but no yellow bikes have been sold sofar.

I personally would no relate the sales and the targets table, but would use separate "dimension" tables like "product" and "year", then you can relate these tables to your "fact" tables: sales and saltestargets. Then you can use the color column from the sales-facts to slice your sales data.

Please be aware, that in my example the direction "Cross filter direction" of the relationships should be set to "Single".

Hope this helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

Agree with Tom. This link might be helpful: http://exceleratorbi.com.au/multiple-data-tables-power-pivot/

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

I'm wondering how you would select the color yellow, if the color is just in your sales-table, but no yellow bikes have been sold sofar.

I personally would no relate the sales and the targets table, but would use separate "dimension" tables like "product" and "year", then you can relate these tables to your "fact" tables: sales and saltestargets. Then you can use the color column from the sales-facts to slice your sales data.

Please be aware, that in my example the direction "Cross filter direction" of the relationships should be set to "Single".

Hope this helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the advice, will look into it and let you know how it went. Hopefully I get time to do it this week, not sure though. I'll make sure to mark this answer afterwards. 

Regarding the yellow bikes i simplified the truth a little bit. Like you say they must exist to be able to filter them. Translated to this scanario, thare are actually yellow bikes sold, but not in Spain for these years. Other countries might have them 🙂

Agree with Tom. This link might be helpful: http://exceleratorbi.com.au/multiple-data-tables-power-pivot/

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Imke!

Thanks for the link, will have a look at it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.