Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mvgust
Helper III
Helper III

Keep only Timecard records which contain specific code

I've got a table with multiple columns of timecard records for employees. Each timecard record has a unique ID.  As part of this table we have attendance codes such as regular work, overtime work, vacation time etc.  A timecard id can and usually does include more then one attendance code. I'd like to filter my table in query editor to only keep employee timecard records that contain a specific overtime work code, but I still want to see all the attendance codes for that timecard.  How can I setup a filter to do this? I thought about a custom column with an IF statement but I can't work out what that if statement would be. 

Below is an example.  If the timecard ID contains an attendance code record of 'UX', I want all the records for the timecard ID. If a timecard ID does not contain a record with UX, I want to filter it out of the table.

Timecard IDEmp NameCharge DateAttendance CodeHoursKeep Record?
444555Smith8/5/20UX3Yes
444555Smith8/6/20RW7Yes
443254Johnson8/5/20RW10No
452718Smith9/10/20RW10Yes
452718Smith9/11/20UX10Yes
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the data.

Here's a Power Query solution (I didn't know if you wanted DAX or M solution)

In Power Query, duplicate the table.

In the table copy, filter the Attendance Code column for 'UX' (using the column header dropdown)

Remove all the columns except 'Timecard ID'.  Right-click the Timecard ID and 'Remove Duplicates' (if required).

You now have a table with a single column of the Timecard IDs that have a UX record.

Using Merge Queries, merge this table with the original table using Inner Join on TimeCard ID.  

Delete the unwanted column.

You now have a table with 4 rows.

Good luck

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Post a small sample of the data (not a picture) and explain/show the end result desired please

I've modified my question to include an example.

Thanks for the data.

Here's a Power Query solution (I didn't know if you wanted DAX or M solution)

In Power Query, duplicate the table.

In the table copy, filter the Attendance Code column for 'UX' (using the column header dropdown)

Remove all the columns except 'Timecard ID'.  Right-click the Timecard ID and 'Remove Duplicates' (if required).

You now have a table with a single column of the Timecard IDs that have a UX record.

Using Merge Queries, merge this table with the original table using Inner Join on TimeCard ID.  

Delete the unwanted column.

You now have a table with 4 rows.

Good luck

Thank you!  Simple solution which I should have thought of.  Appreciate your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.