Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Caz_16
Helper II
Helper II

Keep Slicer filter in a "0 instead of Blank" Measure

I have a Dashboard that I'm using to show if an employee's time is fully allocated for the next six months. You can see my relationships below. I am filtering down from the Division (highest level), to the Groups, to the Employees. My visualizations are designed for the user to select a bar for the desired month in the top graph (which is the sum of the Employees in the selected Division), and have it populate with the individual employees breakdown for the selected month. 

The Issue: I want to be able to see employees that are not allocated (have a sum of 0 for the selected month). If I use the "+0" trick on the end of my SUM() calculation, I see all of the employees, not just the ones in the Division/Group selected in the slicer. 

This result is your expected result, the slicer is filtering the "Employee Allocation by First_Name...." and it is showing that there are 3 employees in Division 1, Group 1, and what their allocations are. However, there are others in Group 1 who are not allocated for that month ( you can see all the names in Group 1 in the Table on the right). I would like for their names to be along the X-axis. 

Caz_16_3-1632248493119.png

So I tried the +0 tactic, where when I SUM(Allocation[PercentAllocation])+0, I get ALL names along the X Axis, including those NOT in Group 1. See below, the highlighted names are NOT in Group 1 (they are in Groups 3 and 4 respectively, and are not listed in my example table). The action of the Table on the right is still correct, so I know my filter theory is correct. 

My expected result: What is below, except the two highlighted names (and in general, names from other groups) are not included in the graph. 

Caz_16_4-1632248628962.png

So my two measures are:

Employee Allocation = 
IF([Calendar Filter Conditional] = TRUE(),
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Allocation[Percent Allocation])
))

and

Employee Allocation = 
IF([Calendar Filter Conditional] = TRUE(),
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Allocation[Percent Allocation])+0
))

The measure with the conditional just checks to make sure the top table (Division Value by Date) is filtered. If it isnt, the bottom graph is blank.

Data Structure/Relationships

Caz_16_5-1632249268259.png

Thanks in advance.

-Caz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

This may be a problem with the relational model. What is the relationship between the slicer you use and the fields in the bar chart? If you use the first formula and select the "show items with no data" option in the x-axis field, will it meet your expected results?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

This may be a problem with the relational model. What is the relationship between the slicer you use and the fields in the bar chart? If you use the first formula and select the "show items with no data" option in the x-axis field, will it meet your expected results?

Thank you! I could not find that option when I originally made the graph. Turns out I had to have the graph showing data and not be blank in order for that option to become available. Thank you for your help!

-Caz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.