Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep Relationship Model and visualizations changing the Data Source

Hi everyone!

I've been reading our forums for a long and getting a lot of help from your wisdom but this is my first ask. 

My org has an important report whose Data Sources are Salesforce and a CSV (using the Certified Connectors). We are implementing a Data Warehouse (Azure) and I have to change my data source to this Data Warehouse to get the same data from it and keep the same report. 

Is possible to change the Data Source keeping the same data models, relationships and visualizations? Or is it not possible because it is a completely different data source? 

I'm not using DirectQuery or nothing like that, i'm still learning about parameters and advanced editor but I don't manage with it yet. 

Thanks in advance! 🙂

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thank you so much! I was afraid that solution would go in that way. I'm going to do a test with a draft file to train myself. To connecting to SQL data bases, do you recommend using DirectQuery instead of certified connectors? 

Thanks again! 🙂

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

Before try to change the source of data in Power Query Editor, it is important to do a backup of entire pbix file.

You can open the Advanced Editor in Power Query Editor, then change the first several source query, and remove some step may occor error, like following pictures, I have a excel and sql database which have same data model, but excel have two empty column, after I change the source to SQL Server, I delete the steps because there are no this two columns in SQL database.

5.PNG6.PNG8.PNG

And you can refer the following document to learn more about difference between the DirectQuery and Import Mode.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-storage-mode

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Laura. From what I know, you can change the data source as long as the structure of the table is still the same. You can change it in advance editor in power query. Hope it helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thank you so much! I was afraid that solution would go in that way. I'm going to do a test with a draft file to train myself. To connecting to SQL data bases, do you recommend using DirectQuery instead of certified connectors? 

Thanks again! 🙂

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much @v-lid-msft !! Sorry for the delay, I've been out of work for a week 🙂

I really apreciate your response and the level of details, it helps me a lot. Now I understand that I have to check every step and every change that I made in the model in order to avoid every possible error, especially in Excel Data. I hope SQL Database wouldn't involve so much trouble!

I haven't implemented yet, but I'll follow your advices.

Thank you again for your time and kindness. 

Best Regards!

Hi @Anonymous ,

Before try to change the source of data in Power Query Editor, it is important to do a backup of entire pbix file.

You can open the Advanced Editor in Power Query Editor, then change the first several source query, and remove some step may occor error, like following pictures, I have a excel and sql database which have same data model, but excel have two empty column, after I change the source to SQL Server, I delete the steps because there are no this two columns in SQL database.

5.PNG6.PNG8.PNG

And you can refer the following document to learn more about difference between the DirectQuery and Import Mode.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-storage-mode

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.