Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joshcomputer1
Helper V
Helper V

KPI with category slicer not working as intended

Hi guys,

I have a dataset with the following columns: Category, Question Number Percentage.  I want the KPI to show me the percentage score within that category for the given month (I have a month filter on the page already).  My problem is that the question number percentage is made up of a formula (see below) since the data is a bunch of yes/no responses.  I had to convert the yeses and no's to 1's and 0's in two columns "QuestionNumYes" and "QuestionNumNo". I am thinking that I need a measure or column to get this to work with the KPI. My original plan was to use the average of "QuestionNumPerc" as the indicator and then place the category as the filter (see screenshot). This does populate the 94%, but it does not change when I select any of the categories which I think means the category filter isn't working as intended. this is where I need help, because it seems like I need a different indicator that is filtered by category already i.e. category="call handling". Any help is appreciated. ***When I change the indicator to sum rather than average, the filter works for the number in the KPI. I need the average though. 

Capture1.PNG

This is the switch to create the categories: Call Handling, Email Handling, etc...

Category = var num = 'Records'[QuestionNum]  Return Switch ( True (), num <=8, "Call Handling", num <=12, "Email Handling", num <=16, "Professional Skills", num <=24, "Issue Assessment and Resolution", num <=37, "Ticket Handling", num<=38, "Red Flag", num =39, "Kudos" )

QuestionNumPerc = sum('Records'[QuestionNumYes]) / (sum('Records'[QuestionNumYes])+sum('Records'[QuestionNumNo]))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@joshcomputer1,

Thanks for your sharing. When I open the new PBIX file, all the KPI visuals show Blank, and I don't think that the QuestionNumPerc calculated column could return your expected result.

Based on your description, you need average instead of sum. In this case, why not directly create a average measure based on the QuestionNumPerc measure? Please check if the following measure returns your desired result, if not, please describe the login that you use to calculate the average.

AverageQuestionNumPerc = (sum('DataSet'[QuestionNumYes]) / (sum('DataSet'[QuestionNumYes])+sum('DataSet'[QuestionNumNo])))/DISTINCTCOUNT('DataSet'[Analyst])

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@joshcomputer1,

Thanks for your sharing. When I open the new PBIX file, all the KPI visuals show Blank, and I don't think that the QuestionNumPerc calculated column could return your expected result.

Based on your description, you need average instead of sum. In this case, why not directly create a average measure based on the QuestionNumPerc measure? Please check if the following measure returns your desired result, if not, please describe the login that you use to calculate the average.

AverageQuestionNumPerc = (sum('DataSet'[QuestionNumYes]) / (sum('DataSet'[QuestionNumYes])+sum('DataSet'[QuestionNumNo])))/DISTINCTCOUNT('DataSet'[Analyst])

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Will try that.

To get the cards to show data, I have to click in the month in the column chart. It will display the sun for the month
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@joshcomputer1,

Could you please share sample data of your table and post the expected result when selecting values in the category slicer? Do mask sensitive data before uploading sample data.

Regards,
Lydia

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwspo6v9rczzqje/QA%20Reporting%20Template.pbix?dl=0

The four KPIs that I need help with are the four on the right hand side.  They are labeled "Call Handling", "Issue Assessment", "Email Handling", "Professional Skills".  What I want to be able to do is select the agent on the left slicer. This should update all of the KPIs to show the cumulative average for each category for that agent.  Then when I select a month column from the chart, they should cross filter to just that month's average.  They are working right now because they are a sum and not average in the indicator field.  

Example: Call Handling

I select Christy, then September in the chart. I want to see Christy's Call Handling average score. The Goal is set at 90% and has no issues. The field we are using is 'Records'[QuestionNumPerc] which gives an average score for questions. The questions are grouped into categories by the 'Records'[Category] calculated column.  

@joshcomputer1,

In your sceanrio, what formula do you use to create the Average of QuestionNumPerc as shown in the screenshot below? And I don't find FLR target field in your PBIX file.
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia, 

Question Number Percentage  adds up the Yes responses then divides by the total. Here is the formula:

QuestionNumPerc = sum('Records'[QuestionNumYes]) / (sum('Records'[QuestionNumYes])+sum('Records'[QuestionNumNo]))

QuestionNumYes and QuestionNumNo are counts. Here is the formula

QuestionNumNo = if('Records'[Value]="No",1,0)

QuestionNumYes = if ('Records'[Value] = "Yes", 1,0)

The FLR Target is just a static number. That target won't change. 

FLR Target = .9

Let me know if that helps

thanks!

@joshcomputer1,

I know the formula you create. Could you please tell us how you get Average of QuestionNumPerc in the KPI visual? I don't see Average calculation for QuestionNumPerc.

Regards,
Lydia

I am clicking in the fields section where it shows questionnumperc. There is a dropdown that allows you to switch to average there. Capture1.PNG

@joshcomputer1 ,

In the PBIX file you shares to me, I note that questionnumperc is a measure, when you drag it to KPI visual, there is no option  to allow you to switch to average. 

Do you create another calculated column named questionnumperc ?

Regards,
Lydia

I uploaded a slightly different file with less data so we can isolate this.  The four KPIs allow you to switch to average or sum. It looks like when it is summed, it will filter by month. When average, it doesn't change.  Also, I have a visual filter on issue assessment so that we are filtering just that category. It shows the same number as the next one. It's like the category visual filter doesn't work with this measure. 

@joshcomputer1,

When I download the PBIX file from your previous reply,  it is still an old file. Could you please update the shared link?

Regards,
Lydia

Same file name...different link this time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8hwpcsd49xxf7v/KPI%20Example.pbix?dl=0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.