Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jochendecraene
Helper IV
Helper IV

KPI unichar based on average

Hi

I've created a KPI with DAX measure using swith & unichar. I want the KPI to based on an average (by category). So the KPI has to change depending on this average by category. Since I can not use the average in a calculated column I needed to create some measures first that I can use in this formula:

Knipsel.JPG

Now, this means I have to create a lot of extra work, since I have lots of tables ... I've tried this solution, that seems to work. But I'm not sure that this is a good solution. Maybe there is a better way. Can someon give me some feedback or advice?

Knipsel1.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jochendecraene ,

You say that you cannot use the average in a calculated column. Why is that?

If you create a column with the following formula, you get the results you want I think.

Unichar =
Var _AverageByCat = CALCULATE( AVERAGE( 'Poverty'[MS Very Hard] ) , ALLEXCEPT('Poverty' ,'Poverty'[Category] ) )
Return
IF( Poverty[MS Very Hard] > _AverageByCat , UNICHAR(9650) , BLANK() )

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jochendecraene ,

Based on what you have mentioned above, I hope I have understood your needs correctly.
You want to create a KPI which is based on the average of the categories.
Show arrow when [Very Hard] column > average, otherwise blank.

If so, then Noeleke gave the right answer and you should create a calculated column instead of a Measure. You don't need to create a separate Measure for the average to do the calculation, you can do what he said and create a calculated column.

vcaitlynmstf_1-1639389797518.png

As for your 2nd problem, Sometimes when the results logic test are equal, I get an arrow, sometimes not.

In the calculation of your measure (average), it is automatically rounded, for example, in the second line of V12, although it shows 3%, the actual average is only 2.75%.

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thnx, this helped me!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jochendecraene ,

You say that you cannot use the average in a calculated column. Why is that?

If you create a column with the following formula, you get the results you want I think.

Unichar =
Var _AverageByCat = CALCULATE( AVERAGE( 'Poverty'[MS Very Hard] ) , ALLEXCEPT('Poverty' ,'Poverty'[Category] ) )
Return
IF( Poverty[MS Very Hard] > _AverageByCat , UNICHAR(9650) , BLANK() )

This gives me an error in the second part of the formula. Seems dax doesn't recongnize the column

Knipsel.JPG

If I adjust this part, It seems to work, and I don't need any measures, exept, there is somethin else wrong. Sometimes when the results logic test are equal, I get an arrow, sometimes not ...

Knipsel1.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.