Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MiekeV Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

KPI- multiple select slicer

My issue is similar to this one that was posted in 2017:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/KPI-Visualization-Problem-With-Multiple-Select/td-p/165189

I am wondering if there is a solution?

I am creating a Actuals/Budget report. I have a slicer for year and one for months.

If I were to multi-select multiple months, I would like the KPI to display the sum of the actuals/ budgets pretaining to those months as opposed to the default where it only displays the data for the last month that was selected oin the slicer (if january and february are both selected, it will only show the february data and not the sum of Jan+Feb). 

Is there a work around of this?

Ideally I do not want to use the YTD method as I would like the ability to select months and/or years out of order (e.g. just May and October)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kentyler Established Member
Established Member

Re: KPI- multiple select slicer

Here is a link to the use of Parameter tables https://www.daxpatterns.com/parameter-table/

which act like slicers but are, i think more open to manipulation in DAX

Notice that even in this article the selection of multiple parameters is considered to be "bad".

I suspect your way out might be to make 3 parameter tables, for example, and allow the user to select up to 3 months. Then your DAX code would have to check each parameter and react differently depending on which one was selected.

This would be pretty advanced, but you could probably do.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
kentyler Established Member
Established Member

Re: KPI- multiple select slicer

Here is a link to the use of Parameter tables https://www.daxpatterns.com/parameter-table/

which act like slicers but are, i think more open to manipulation in DAX

Notice that even in this article the selection of multiple parameters is considered to be "bad".

I suspect your way out might be to make 3 parameter tables, for example, and allow the user to select up to 3 months. Then your DAX code would have to check each parameter and react differently depending on which one was selected.

This would be pretty advanced, but you could probably do.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 65 members 1,261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: