Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tbucki1
Advocate I
Advocate I

KPI card displays incorrect value

I just created a KPI card that shows Actuals Vs Budget for a given time period... Both Actuals and Budget are DAX equations.

I bring Actuals into the "indicatior" section, Budget to "Target Section" and Month Name to Trend Axis...

I have a slicer set up to show month name... The KPI number works when viewing on a monthly basis, but as soon I select Jan & Feb & Mar & Apr. & May, etc... the KPI changes and the displayed number is the last months amount. I am not able to see a YTD view based on my selection. In my date slicer if I select Jan through November, the number displayed is the Actuals for November, not the cumulative Actual value of Jan - Nov. This seems to be a Power BI Desktop issue, because it works beautiful in Excel Power Pivot.

Power BI does not seem to factor in all the dates checked in the filter, it only looks at the latest or most current month in the selection and displays that months value... How do I correct this? Seems like a bug.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tbucki1,

To display cumulative totals for Actual and Budget in KPI visual based on checked month from the slicer, you can create two measures to return cumulative total:

RunningAcrual = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Actual]),FILTER(ALL(Table2[Month]),'Table2'[Month]<=MAX('Table2'[Month])))

RunningBudget = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Budget]),FILTER(ALL(Table2[Month]),'Table2'[Month]<=MAX('Table2'[Month])))

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tbucki1,

To display cumulative totals for Actual and Budget in KPI visual based on checked month from the slicer, you can create two measures to return cumulative total:

RunningAcrual = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Actual]),FILTER(ALL(Table2[Month]),'Table2'[Month]<=MAX('Table2'[Month])))

RunningBudget = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Budget]),FILTER(ALL(Table2[Month]),'Table2'[Month]<=MAX('Table2'[Month])))

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Qiuyun Yu,

I am facing exactly the same problem, but the solution you propose does work for the KPI but then not for the trend value (the line), as it give cummulative evolution view.

When you have daily information, there's really no point in looking at the last day, it would be much better to analyze for example last month (or YTD), and in the trend axis maintain the daily evolution.

This is not a Power BI issue, it is a KPI card feature.  If you use a regular card I think you will find it will behave the same as Excel.  The KPI card is designed to show the last selected value in the time series.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.