Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Knechtion

KPI (blank) when a single value is blank

I am using a KPI visual for multiple individual monthly metrics over the course of a year. There are 6 metrics but not all of them can occur every month. I have logic to handle if they select a date range in which there is NO data for that KPI.

I'm having an issue in which if ANY month within the range has a blank, then a KPI visual will display "(blank)".  I've read and tried a few methods of replacing the blanks with another value, however putting in this artificial value will change the final % being display in the KPI as it adds that value into the calculation.

Within a table view the data appears as expected and the "Total" properly calculates the % for that period of time. In the table below you can see that two of the metrics listed in the image don't have values for each month (yes I know they are out of order, it is on the to-do list to fix). The table & KPI are using a Measure which is a sum(passfail)/count(metric) (the passfail is a 0/1 value). The individual visuals are then doing the grouping beyond that.

Table view.PNG

As mentioned I tried replacing the blanks with 1's or 0's but then the final KPI value would use those in the calculation and show inaccurate total %. 

I appreciate any thoughts.

2 REPLIES 2
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Knechtion 

According to your description and sample pictures, I can clearly understand your problem, I have a little trick that can help to solve this problem in the Power BI, you can take a look at my steps and find if it’s helpful:

This is my test data:

v-robertq-msft_0-1623653612468.png

1. I created a new table like this:
ID = SUMMARIZE('Table',[ID])
  1. Then I related these two tables:

v-robertq-msft_1-1623653612470.png

1. I created a measure like this:
Measure =

IF(SUM('Table'[Value])=BLANK(),0,SUM('Table'[Value]))
  1. I went to the original matrix and reaplce the fields in the matrix like this:

v-robertq-msft_2-1623653612476.png

And you can get what you want.

You can download my test pbix file below

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Knechtion

Update: If I trend the KPI by Year instead of Month it resolved the "(Blank)" issue, though I'm still reviewing if it impacts the actual summary of the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.