Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BIsteht
Helper III
Helper III

KPI Visual setup issue

I am having trouble with the display of data in a KPI Visual. When I put my fact table calculation in a matrix, the result is exactly what I would expect. The numbers are accurate:

MTD Last Month.jpg

I am looking at this on 8/1/2018. I am trying to set up the following using the KPI Visual:

Indiciator = Total Revenue MTD (fact table)

Target goals - Total Revenue MTD Last Month (fact table)

Trend Axis = Date (date table)

My Total Expense MTD is blank because there are no values in my data source for today. However, when I put Total Expense MTD Last Month in a KPI visual I would expect $145,580.53 to show up for today (shown above), However, you'll notice the visual is displaying $36,603,389, which is the July 2018 total, not the July 1 total. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

KPI Visual.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @BIsteht,

Your formula can get correct value when you use on matrix. Matrix visual will summarize and filter calculation range based on its category level, it will help measure filter unrelated records to calculate on correct records.

When you use on kpi visual or card visual, it not contains any category level so row content equal to whole table which not contains contents filter.

For this scenario, you need to manually add filters to let formula calculate on correct records.

Hope above can explain more clearly.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BIsteht,

I'd like some sample data and calculation formulas to help us clarify your scraio to test and coding formula. It is hard to troubleshooting without any data and formulas.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft You can download a sample dataset and pbix from the link below. The KPI visuals are the key issue. For example, look at the Expense Month KPI visual (middle/center). The target goal number (Total Expense MTD Last Month) is actually displaying the current MTD number and the Indicator (Current MTD) displays (BLANK). If you remove the Target Goal value from the visual, the current MTD number will change from Blank to the correct number. Similar things are happening in the other KPIs.

I have tried many different formulas and setups to get this to work and have not found the issue. Thanks in advance for taking a look.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ellji1hPbJufLBtix1NFQBsAEJciNY5A/view?usp=sharing

Hi @BIsteht,

In fact, kpi visual is similar as card visual, it not contains grouping features, its current row contents is whole table.

I'm not so sure if time intelligence works properly with this scenario, maybe you need to manually add filter on visual level filters to keep it works on matched date range.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If I understand correctly there is no way to use the KPI visual to show this month vs last mtd. Is that correct?

Hi @BIsteht,

Your formula can get correct value when you use on matrix. Matrix visual will summarize and filter calculation range based on its category level, it will help measure filter unrelated records to calculate on correct records.

When you use on kpi visual or card visual, it not contains any category level so row content equal to whole table which not contains contents filter.

For this scenario, you need to manually add filters to let formula calculate on correct records.

Hope above can explain more clearly.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft- I appreciate the feedback. I'm still confused on why this doesn't work, given the context of the formula is in the formula itself. I will take your word for it and consider this closed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.