Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Joining tables - flag no join as 'other'

I have a sales table that shows date, sales and marketID. I then have another table which shows marketID and countryname.

My tables are joined by marketID to retrieve the countryname. However, for any marketID that isn't matched in the market table, I would like to flag these as 'Other'. Is this possible?

Update: my market table also has a conversion figure that I use to apply to the sales figure. For any markets in the sales table that don't appear in the market table, I would like these to be grouped under 'other' so that I can convert the sales figure by the 'Other' conversion figure.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bo_afk 

Column = 
VAR _conversionrate = RELATED(Market[conversionfigure])
RETURN IF(_conversionrate=BLANK(),1,_conversionrate)

Instead of Country put the conversion figure column name and in place of other put the default number that you want 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
paulvans182
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @bo_afk ,

I am not sure if I have missed something in your query, but perhaps in the query editor you could create a new Conditional Column called 'New Market ID' and, use the formula: 

= Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Sheet2", "Custom", each if [#"Sheet2.Countryname "] = null then "Other" else [Market ID])

This would then be able to replace your original Market ID column. 

The way I tested this was to create two tables as you described, and merged the queries with a Left Outer Join.

"Sheet2" was the Market ID, Countryname table you described

Hope this helps, or if I not fully understanding your question, please let me know?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi @paulvans182 @Anonymous , thanks for your resposes. There is an update to my query.

My market table also has a conversion figure that I use to apply to the sales figure. For any markets in the sales table that don't appear in the market table, I would like these to be grouped under 'other' so that I can convert the sales figure by the 'Other' conversion figure.

Does this change anything to the suggestions you provided?

Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bo_afk 

Column = 
VAR _conversionrate = RELATED(Market[conversionfigure])
RETURN IF(_conversionrate=BLANK(),1,_conversionrate)

Instead of Country put the conversion figure column name and in place of other put the default number that you want 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bo_afk Hope there is many to 1 relationship between Sales and market table please create following calculated column in sales table

Column = 
VAR _country = RELATED(Market[Country])
RETURN IF(_country=BLANK(),"Other",_country)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.