Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wdeveloper
Frequent Visitor

Joined aggregate table throwing errors on aggregation column sporadically

Hi all,

My team is using a feature of Power BI called aggregation tables, essentially to work around the size limitations of bringing tables into import mode. These aggregate tables have significantly improved our report performance.

However, I run into an issue pretty regularly that I haven't been able to figure out. The issue is that a red box appears around the Sum column (screenshot below), with no error message, and the Apply button on the Manage Aggregations screen becomes grayed out. This only happens on joined aggregate tables that point to two different underlying tables. This is what happens:

• After mapping a few Group By columns, a red box appears around the first aggregation column, specifically the Sum type for our use cases
  • If you delete the first aggregation column, the red box jumps to the next one
  • The strange thing is, it sometimes appears when re-opening the aggregate table later, after successfully mapping and publishing it once

Resolution steps tried:

• Updating to latest version of Power BI (this fixed it once, but it’s returned since)
  • Closing out of Power BI and reopening (no effect)
  • Using the trash can icon to delete the mapped column and re-adding (no effect)
  • Refreshing the table (no effect)

pbi_support_red_box_error.jpg

Data model:

pbi_data_model2.png

Any ideas on what could be causing this error? Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @wdeveloper 

Based on my tests, I failed to reproduce your scenario. I'd like to suggest you refer the document or you may create a ticket for this issue.

Best Regards

Allan

Hi Allan, thanks for the quick response. Maybe it would be helpful to see our data model (added to original post)? I've read the documentation thoroughly and can't find any reason why this shouldn't work. 

I've highlighted the two tables underlying the aggregate that is throwing the error. Do you think this could be related to the bidirectional relationship between Carrier Aggregate - Top 3 and Carrier Aggregate Benchmark Bridge?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.