Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

davijs
Regular Visitor

Join Calculated tables DAX

Hi -   

I am trying to Join 3 calculated tables, each with information about defects on an Application/Function, where the lookup table (Application Inventory) is related to each table, but it is a many - many between each of the tables. I was looking at other solutions, and I have seen the "CountRows" function used, but I need to SUM The number of Open, Resolved, Injected defects by Function into one calculated table.

The final result would look like:

Function    Open      Injected    Closed (and Ultimately)   Open+ Injected - Closed

App 1          2              1                  1                                              1

App 2           5              0                  2                                              3 

App 3           10             2                 8                                              4 

Thanks for your help!

Model.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, what I would suggest is that you use an Append query to append all 3 of your tables together. You could add a column in each one of them to tell you where it came from, just create the same column in all three source queries with the same column name and give them a static value of "Open", "Closed", etc. 

I think then your problems will become far easier and almost trivial at that point.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, perhaps we need to backup and discuss your original raw data that you have as my spider sense is tingling about why you need 3 calculated tables in addition to your raw data. 

Latest book!:

That is a great Question!

So, my sources are from three different excel files kept on SharePoint.  

(a) Open incidents

(b) Closed incidents

(c) Injected incidents

I built calculated tables, knowing that this is probably not my final solution, but an understandable one for me.  The code is similar for all three, so I have included one below:

Closed by Week-Function = CalculateTable (
SUMMARIZE (
'Service Desk Ticket - Closed',
'Service Desk Ticket - Closed'[Function],
"Closed", COUNT('Service Desk Ticket - Closed'[Request ID])
) ,
FILTER(All('Service Desk Ticket - Closed'[CAB Week Number]), 'Service Desk Ticket - Closed'[CAB Week Number] < MAX('Week'[CAB Week Number])))

Open is exactly the same, Injected is a SUM (injected column).

So, backing up might very well be useful.  I have been struggling with this problem for a few days now and that is why I broke it down and asked the question.  Of course, if you would like to back up I would be MORE than thankful.

Joy

BTW - 

Below is the model for the source data:

Model2.JPG

OK, what I would suggest is that you use an Append query to append all 3 of your tables together. You could add a column in each one of them to tell you where it came from, just create the same column in all three source queries with the same column name and give them a static value of "Open", "Closed", etc. 

I think then your problems will become far easier and almost trivial at that point.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.