Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jodes
Helper II
Helper II

.JSON shapefile not showing up properly

I tried to convert my shapefile into .JSON so I can import it into PowerBI but it is not working. See image below. 

used mapshaper.org to convert it from .SHP to .JSON. It looks fine on the website when I convert it, but the end result is off. This is the result:

Map.JPG

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

For geographic data there are multiple different reference systems and projections. It looks like your original shp file is using a reference system that PowerBI does not support. Try following the steps suggested in this article https://dataveld.com/2016/09/01/overcoming-potential-power-bi-shape-map-rendering-issues/ I had an issue like this months ago and I think converting to the wgs84 projection using mapshaper (as suggested in the linked article) fixed this for me.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LijunChen
Helper II
Helper II

Many thanks for providing the links to the article. I came across the same problem while rendering a State county boundary map in Power BI. I followed the instructions and used Mapshaper Console command to changed the reference system as proj wgs84 -o and saved as a Json file. And now Power BI shape map can read and display the data correctly. 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

For geographic data there are multiple different reference systems and projections. It looks like your original shp file is using a reference system that PowerBI does not support. Try following the steps suggested in this article https://dataveld.com/2016/09/01/overcoming-potential-power-bi-shape-map-rendering-issues/ I had an issue like this months ago and I think converting to the wgs84 projection using mapshaper (as suggested in the linked article) fixed this for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.