Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SachinC
Helper V
Helper V

JSON key value pair data reporting

Hi,
I want to report on some key value pair JSON data, example below...

"ReportDetail": "{{\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.1.Hidden\":\"True\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.2.Hidden\":\"True\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.3.Hidden\":\"True\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.13.Hidden\":\"True\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.5.Hidden\":\"True\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.14.Hidden\":\"True\",\"CurrentPage\":\"VehicleInspection/Complete\",\"CurrentTitle\":\"Complete\",\"AllFailQuestions\":\"Checks.Electrical.SubChecks.21.,Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.9.\",\"VehicleCompleteTime\":\"2021-09-01 08:02:21\",\"Checks.BodyExteriorFittings.SubChecks.5.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.BodyExteriorFittings.SubChecks.7.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.InteriorFittings.SubChecks.4.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.EngineCompartment.SubChecks.5.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.EngineCompartment.SubChecks.16.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.EngineCompartment.SubChecks.17.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.Electrical.SubChecks.2.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.Electrical.SubChecks.10.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.Transmission.SubChecks.9.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.Transmission.SubChecks.10.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.Transmission.SubChecks.11.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.Transmission.SubChecks.12.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.Exhaust.SubChecks.2.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.1.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.2.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.3.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.5.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.13.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.14.Answer\":\"N/A\",\"EmailFailItems\":\"Window Operation\\nGeneral Steering/Handling\",\"EmailFailItemsHtml\":\"Window Operation<br />General Steering/Handling\",\"System.UserId\":\"692ddb87-12f1-4401-9a6e-e55a5d8db13e\",\"EndInspection\":\"2021-09-01 08:02:22\",\"Message.Version\":\"AAIMS.41\",\"Message.IsLocalOnly\":\"False\",\"Message.MessageSource\":\"Draft\",\"Message.Opened\":\"True\",\"Message.DataPending\":\"False\",\"VehicleLookup\":\"Wm14cwa\",\"AdHocLookup.Success\":\"true\",\"AdHocLookup.Error\":\"\",\"HPI.Lookup.Registration\":\"Wm14cwa\",\"HPI.Status\":\"Vehicle found\".....

All other fields are fine, i.e. "VehicleMOT": "Expires: 29 June 2022", but I want to report on the above string which is huge. How can I do this please? There are sub-key value pairs in there, i.e. Checks.RoadTest.SubChecks.2.Answer = N/A etc...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SachinC 

If you have JSON strings in a column, you can parse that column to JSON format. One way is via Transform / Add Column > Parse > JSON

21090808.jpg

The other is to right click on column header, then Transform > JSON.

21090807.jpg

After that, you will get record or list values, you can expand them then and transform them to get the format you want. 

Reference:

Parse text as JSON or XML | Microsoft Docs

Videos:

Parse JSON data in a column using Power Query in Power BI - YouTube

Convert JSON strings to tables in Power Query/ Power BI - YouTube

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SachinC 

If you have JSON strings in a column, you can parse that column to JSON format. One way is via Transform / Add Column > Parse > JSON

21090808.jpg

The other is to right click on column header, then Transform > JSON.

21090807.jpg

After that, you will get record or list values, you can expand them then and transform them to get the format you want. 

Reference:

Parse text as JSON or XML | Microsoft Docs

Videos:

Parse JSON data in a column using Power Query in Power BI - YouTube

Convert JSON strings to tables in Power Query/ Power BI - YouTube

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

SachinC
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @NINO 

Many thanks for your response.

May I ask how you got it into a meaningful format please?

This is my issue - I want to get the data into a format which I can report on.

I don't want to drill into, I want to parse the JSON.

If you can give me some steps I would appreciate. 

Thanks for your efforts!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the problem how to drill down through json? Or parsing after you have the data?

Yours was a single record, I used multiple in case yours does.

you can tell because "{}" in JSON is equivalent to a  a power query Record. It's the reverse of Power Query.

JSONPower Query
 { "name": "bob" }[ name = "bob" ]
[ "something ]{ "something" }

JSON and Power Query side by sideJSON and Power Query side by side

JSON and Power Query side by sideJSON and Power Query side by sideFinal Expanded TableFinal Expanded Table

The original JSONThe original JSON

let
    // ignore this step, it's the escaped json document. This happens when you paste into the editor.
    source = "[#(cr)#(lf)    {#(cr)#(lf)        ""Species"": ""Cat"",#(cr)#(lf)        ""Name"": ""Ted"",#(cr)#(lf)        ""Lives"": 9,#(cr)#(lf)        ""Kittens"": [#(cr)#(lf)            { ""Name"": ""Jane"", ""Status"": ""Sleeping"" },#(cr)#(lf)            { ""Name"": ""Frederick"", ""Status"": ""Chasing yarn"" }#(cr)#(lf)        ]#(cr)#(lf)    },#(cr)#(lf)    {#(cr)#(lf)        ""Species"": ""Turtle"",#(cr)#(lf)        ""Name"": ""Elena""#(cr)#(lf)    }#(cr)#(lf)]",

json = Json.Document(source),

toTable = Table.FromRecords(
        json, null, MissingField.UseNull
    ),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
        toTable,
        { {"Species", type text}, {"Name", type text}, {"Lives", Int64.Type}, {"Kittens", type any} }
    ),

// expand nested values
    #"Expanded Kittens" = Table.ExpandListColumn(
        #"Changed Type", "Kittens"),

#"Expanded Kittens2" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(
        #"Expanded Kittens",
        "Kittens",
        {"Name", "Status"}, {"Kitten.Name", "Kitten.Status"}
    ),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
        #"Expanded Kittens2",
        { {"Kitten.Name", type text}, {"Kitten.Status", type text} }
    )
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Hi, I posted a response above. If you could answer that would be grand. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.