Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Babinsky
Helper I
Helper I

JSON file drill downs

Hi Everyone, 

I have a question about importing a JSON file so I can access the data to report.  I have the following documentation below on how to do this which was helpful, unfortunately on the last step when the data is converted to a table, certain fields display as 'list' because the file has drill downs.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to access this data that displays as 'list'?

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4621/using-power-bi-with-json-data-sources-and-files/

I simply want a table like Excel format so I can acccess all fields, however since this file has multiple drill down I cannot.  

Thanks!

- Babinsky

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Babinsky

It's all as @hugoberry suggestion. If you could give some sample JSON file, we could provide more intuitive solution.

How do attach the file?  I'm seeing photos and video attachment options but no file attachement option?  

Sorry I'm new to the community.  

@Babinsky

You could upload the JSON file in a network drive as @hugoberry suggested and share the download link.

Maybe @Eric_Zhang can suggest something, otherwise I would recommend some dropbox/onedrive/google drive alternative.

hugoberry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

There are several things you can try. It all depends on your particular JSON structure (a sample would be usefull to back up the answer with a meaningfull query)

1. If the list have the same structure you can carry on with Expanding the column that contains the list.

2. You can look at using Table.ExpandListColumn in your query

3. A list can be displayed in a table field by feeding Text.Combine function to it

4. Come up with a custom JSON expansion routine

5. This 3 minute video

6. Transform the lists back to JSON with Json.FromValue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.