Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sibrulotte
Helper III
Helper III

JSON File: reached end of buffer

Hi, 

I have a JSON file retrieved from a POST call in Postman. This JSON file was parsed successfully once in my main file, and I was a happy camper.

Unfortunatly, the next day, I refreshed the POST call in Postman, saved the response to my JSON file again overwriting it. The minute I tried to refresh the query using that file there was an errror message: We reached the end of the buffer ...

I tried openeing the file from another Power Bi document, fresh, with all windows around closed, and alas, same message.

What would be the issue you think?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well I have been able to locate the problem:

The POST call returns an incomplete response thus incomplete JSON file is saved. 

It seems to be an issue with my data provider.

So moral of the story is: incorrect JSON format will give an end of buffer memory error.

Thank your for your time.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Sibrulotte glad to hear you found the solution and thanks for sharing it here. I'm sure it will be helpful to others. This is what makes this community great. Cheers!!

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Sibrulotte not sure why you get this buffer error, can you share a sample pbix file? What kind of transformation are you doing if any? Do you happen to know how many records are in the file?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Well I have been able to locate the problem:

The POST call returns an incomplete response thus incomplete JSON file is saved. 

It seems to be an issue with my data provider.

So moral of the story is: incorrect JSON format will give an end of buffer memory error.

Thank your for your time.

Hi, @Sibrulotte 

Thanks for your experience sharing. If you have solved your problem by yourself, would you like to mark your own reply as a solution so that others can learn from it too?

Thanks in advance!

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Sibrulotte 

For what it's worth, is the reponse incomplete because the request was invalid or was the request valid but the returned data was badly formatted or truncated JSON?

If a request is invalid and the expected returned data should be JSON, then what happens is you actually get a HTTP response back (which isn't JSON) and any attempt to parse JSON fails.

It's always best to check what response is actually received rather than assume you get what you asked for.

I know you said that your first request worked, so it would look like your request is properly formed. However you can still get an error returned if there's a problem with the service you are connecing to (perhaps a 404 Not Found or a 500 Internal Server Error).

Anyway, just thought that might be useful to bear in mind for the future.

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks Phil, the response starts off well, but is just truncated and doesn't end with a JSON synthax closure.

So I need to fix that POST call before I do anything else. 🙂

Sibrulotte
Helper III
Helper III

This forum goes so fast, almost third page within an hour... 

I see 6K to 14k users.

@amitchandak @parry2k @PhilipTreacy @mahoneypat  @MFelix 

You guys seem to be the all star.

Is my question far fetched or impossible to adress?

Should I just figure out a way to make the REST API connector work? cause that was a deadend rather quickly too for me.

Sibrulotte
Helper III
Helper III

you for the support. 

The file currently is 1.1M in size, and has all the data I need with the same parsing format that the initial file had.

nvprasad
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

Kindly check the json file might have no records ( Blank file).

Appreciate a Kudos! 🙂
If this helps and resolves the issue, please mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Regards,
N V Durga Prasad

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.