Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

JOIN 2 tables with DISTINCT(UNION)) result many 2 many relationship

Hi,

Recently I was joining 2 tables, so that I can get the unique value of this tables.

So I create this query :

Unique Location = DISTINCT(
    UNION(
        DISTINCT('Table A'[Location]),
        DISTINCT(Table B[Location])       
    )
)

FYI, the column [Location] is just a location code with many duplicates since it is a transaction table. And the reason I want to create a new unique table because I want to put a relationship between this two but cannot since it will create Many to Many relationship.

So in that query, logically, it would create a new table with unique value of "Location", right ?
So does what it looks like in the table result.

But strange is when I want to connect this new table "Unique Location" to Table A or Table B, it still tell me it is Many 2 Many.
What is wrong with that query ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@admin_xlsior hmm seems like there is a blank row and wondering if that is the root cause.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@admin_xlsior can you check what output you are getting Unique Location table. I just tested at my end and it worked as expected.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Yes, 

it does have unique value :

@admin_xlsior hmm seems like there is a blank row and wondering if that is the root cause.

Actually I expect that, but if it is the blank causing it, I can remove it.

However been trying this query :

DISTINCT(
    UNION(
        DISTINCT(ALLNOBLANKROW('Table A'[Location])),
DISTINCT(ALLNOBLANKROW('Table B'[Location]))
    )

but cannot get rid of the blank row.

Also tried the FILTER like this :

DISTINCT(
UNION(
        DISTINCT(FILTER(VALUES('Table A'[Location]), LEN('Table A'[Location])>0)),
        DISTINCT(ALLNOBLANKROW('Table B'[Location]))   
    )

the first table filter (Table A) already gave an error saying "a circular dependency was detected", but  I think this is because the way I get this data.

Anyway, I thought DISTINCT will ignore Blank ? VALUES include Blank, right ?

Thanks,

You are right it does because of the blank row. And I need to remove it by this query :

DISTINCT(FILTER(VALUES('Table A'[Location]), 'Table A'[Location] <> "") ),

Strange, with the same logic, only I'm using Len(Table A[Location] > 0), it does not work. 

Many thanks for your help,

@admin_xlsior sorry I was away, seems like you have solution in place. Glad to help!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.