Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

geeb
Regular Visitor

Issues with blank measures in Azure Analysis Services and PowerBI Desktop

As the title indicates, I'm having some issues with blank measures when using PowerBI Desktop and Azure Analysis Services. Here are the results I'm trying to get:

xl.PNG

This is from Excel => Azure Analysis Services. So far, so good. Note the empty values for Offline Time Tracker Hours (all) in the first three rows and the completely empty column Other Hours - OT. These results are accurate.

When I try replicating these filters in PowerBI Desktop, using the same Azure Analysis Services instance/model, here's what I get:

pbi-asaz.PNG

Looks like the empty row values in the first screenshot were replaced by the left column's values. If I try adding the columns in a different order, I get this:

pbi-asaz3.PNG

pbi-asaz4.PNG

pbi-asaz2.PNG

Really odd. If I deploy the same model to an on-premises VM and connect PowerBI Desktop to that SSAS model, I get the correct results.

pbi-onprem.PNG

To summarize:

Excel => Azure Analysis Services = OK

PowerBI Desktop => Azure Analysis Services = Not OK.

PowerBI Desktop => SQL Analysis Services (onprem) = OK.

Please note that I tried using two PowerBI Desktop versions: one with the latest April update (v2.45.4704.442), and another older version downloaded on February 23 2017. The behavior above happens in both versions.

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
geeb
Regular Visitor

Not sure if this went through (new user, post awaiting email confirmation). Replying to check instead of double posting.

@geeb

We reproduced exactly same issue as you described.

Expected.jpg

Repro.jpg

We have reported this issue and opened a ticket internally.

Regards,

Thank you! I'm glad you were able to reproduce it.

geeb
Regular Visitor

As the title indicates, I'm having some issues with blank measures when using PowerBI Desktop and Azure Analysis Services. Here are the results I'm trying to get:

xl.PNG

This is from Excel => Azure Analysis Services. So far, so good. Note the empty values for Offline Time Tracker Hours (all) in the first three rows, and the fact that Other Hours - OT is completely empty. These results are accurate.

When I try replicating these filters in PowerBI Desktop, using the same Azure Analysis Services instance/model, here's what I get:

pbi-asaz.PNG

Looks like the empty row values in the first screenshot were replaced by the left column's values. If I try adding the columns in a different order, I get this:

pbi-asaz3.PNG

pbi-asaz4.PNG

pbi-asaz2.PNG

Really odd. If I deploy the same model to an on-premises VM and connect PowerBI Desktop to that SSAS model, I get the correct results.

pbi-onprem.PNG

To summarize:

Excel => Azure Analysis Services = OK

PowerBI Desktop => Azure Analysis Services = Not OK.

PowerBI Desktop => SQL Analysis Services (onprem) = OK.

Please note that I tried using two PowerBI Desktop versions: one with the latest April update (v2.45.4704.442), and another older version downloaded on February 23 2017. The behavior above happens in both versions.

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks!

geeb
Regular Visitor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.