Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues with average per category

Hi,

I'm struggling with calculation avg salary per category.

I've created two measures:

Salary, EUR = 
var admission = IFERROR(CALCULATE(SUM('PI Entires'[Amount]); FILTER('PI Entires';'PI Entires'[PI Type]=2));0)
var legibility = IFERROR(CALCULATE(SUM('PI Entires'[Amount]); FILTER('PI Entires';'PI Entires'[PI Type]=3));0)
var month = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Calendar'[Month]); FILTER('Calendar';'Calendar'[Tab_sk]=1);FILTER('PI Entires';'PI Entires'[Amount]>0&&[PI Type]=2))
RETURN
IFERROR((admission+legibility)/month;BLANK())
AVG Salary per employee = 
VAR empl_count = SUM('Time-card entries'[Time card hours])/SUMX(FILTER('Calendar';'Calendar'[Tab_sk]=1); [Sched_hours])
RETURN
IFERROR([Salary, EUR]/empl_count; BLANK())
And everything looks great till I need a comparison of how employee average salary differs from average in its position type.
I have tried to write a DAX as usual, but it doesn't work, I need that that employee who is in Manager position have AVG Position type - 1060.91, Worker - 642,24 and so on...
AVG Position type = CALCULATE([AVG Salary per employee];ALLEXCEPT(Position;Position[Position type]))
Screenshot_72.png
I have several versions, I get the wrong result:
  • because I miscalculated DAX
  • because I use multiple measures
  • because of relationships between tables
Can anyone help me with this issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I got the values to correspond with your desired value by using this

AVG Position type =
IF (
    NOT ( ISBLANK ( [Salary. EUR] ) );
    CALCULATE (
        [AVG Salary per employee];
        ALL ( Employee );
        KEEPFILTERS ( Position )
    );
    BLANK ()
)

But are you sure your model is correct? I have not gone into details of it, but for the 2 employees without a position type the salaries are 424,95 and 156,99, while the total for this blank position type 1353,69. You might have some issues with the bidirectional filters you have set up, from 'Appointments' there are two possible paths to 'PI Entires', and this is something that might cause some issues: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I got the values to correspond with your desired value by using this

AVG Position type =
IF (
    NOT ( ISBLANK ( [Salary. EUR] ) );
    CALCULATE (
        [AVG Salary per employee];
        ALL ( Employee );
        KEEPFILTERS ( Position )
    );
    BLANK ()
)

But are you sure your model is correct? I have not gone into details of it, but for the 2 employees without a position type the salaries are 424,95 and 156,99, while the total for this blank position type 1353,69. You might have some issues with the bidirectional filters you have set up, from 'Appointments' there are two possible paths to 'PI Entires', and this is something that might cause some issues: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @sturlaws, it works greate!
And thanks for the link, it was very useful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.