Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

davidpOuray
Frequent Visitor

Issues with aggregating a measure.

We have a production floor report that essentially takes timeclock data and compares it to set standard minutes to generate efficiency ratings per employee.

The timeclock data is manually imported via SQL every morning as our timeclock system is 3rd party and they email us XLS files daily, there is no direct access to their database. Not only is this process not very reliable, but when employees miss punches (happens all the time) we have to manually go update the record to a default 8/10 hours (shift dependent) of time.

In efforts to get rid of this timeclock importing process, I have come up with a measure that basically just estimates the minutes at 480/600 shift respective. This works well when looking at the report for a given day since most employees are within 10-15 minutes of this time anyway and we dont have to deal with missed punches, but.... as soon as you try to view an aggregate of time like a month, the efficienices are all out of whack because its not summing the calculated minutes for that given time.

Here is my measure DAX: IF(MAX(Events[Date]) = TODAY(),SUMX(EmplTableAX, SWITCH(EmplTableAX[Shift], 1, MIN( 480, 24*60*(NOW() - (TODAY() + TIME(5,0,0)) )), 2, MIN( 600, 24*60*(NOW() - (TODAY() + TIME(13,45,0)))))),SUMX(EmplTableAX, SWITCH(EmplTableAX[Shift],1,480,2,600)))

Kind of tough to read, but essentially its figuring out the amount of minutes passed for the current day (so the efficiency value throughout the current day is valid), otherwise for all historical days its figuring out what shift the employee is (1st or 2nd) and setting the value to 480/600 respectively.

Any assistance is appreciated and let me know if you need more context or details. It can be tough to figure these specific issues out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Progress. So using RELATED(EmplTableAX[Shift]) let it work in a calculated column, and it looks like its agreggating it properly...BUT it no longer works with the SP NET/GROSS measures since apparently one can't use a calculated column in a measure??

UPDATED: I got the SP NET/GROSS % measures to work by using SUM(Est Min), it will only work if its summing, not just the raw column reference. I think its all working now!

Thank you for your help Henry!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.