Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues with Table Relationships and Slicers

Hello PowerBI Experts, Here is a situation I am hoping to get some help with: 1. I have two tables (Tables A and B) that all contain three common fields/columns (let's call them Size, Shape, and Color for confidentiality purposes) 2. I have a page of a report containing various visuals, some of which display values that are calculated using data from both tables (e.g. Table A(Size) divided by Table B(Color), etc.). 3. The page also has slicers on it for the three fields/columns of interest (i.e. a "Size" slicer, a "Shape" slicer, and a "Color" slicer). To create these slicers, I used the corresponding fields from Table A. 4. The slicers only appeared to be affecting the portions of the visuals coming from Table A (which I suppose makes sense since I used the fields from Table A to create the slicers). 5. The next thing I did was to go to "Manage Relationships" and create a Many-to-Many, bi-directional relationship between Tables A and B based on the "Size" field. This appeared to solve two-thirds of my problem because now the slicers for "Size" and "Shape" both appear to correctly affect all parts of all visuals on the page. The issue now, however, is that the "Color" slicer still only affects the Table A portions of the visuals. 6. The next thing I could logically think to do was to create an additional Relationship between the two tables, based on "Color". The problem is, this won't work because it is telling me I then have to deactivate the other relationship, stating: "You can't create a direct active relationship between Table A and Table B because an active set of indirect relationships already exists between these tables. To make this relationship active, set the Cross filter direction to 'single', delete, or deactivate any of the indirect relationships first." Changing the cross filter direction doesn't allow me to activate the relationship either. Does anyone have any idea what the issue is here? I'm really stuck spinning my wheels for now. The only workaround I currently have is to just add two slicers for "Color" from both tables, directing the user to make sure to select the same color from both slicers to ensure the data is accurate. How can I set up the relationships such that all three slicers affect the data/visuals from both tables? Any help is much appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may refer to the following post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/One-slicer-for-two-tables-M-M/td-p/523095

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may refer to the following post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/One-slicer-for-two-tables-M-M/td-p/523095

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.