Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

G2Crafted

Issues with Logging in to PowerBI. All Suggestions Not Working

Issue: My business is partnered with Microsoft and we have been using PowerBI for data for the last year or so. The email originally used was a personal email address. I have been using this on my old computer and iPad since then. I have since purchased a new computer and I have used my business (outlook) email address to set everything up. Now, when I try to go into PowerBI, it logs me in with my business email address. I select to log out, so I can enter the personal email address, but gives me the following error: "You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead." I have inspected the address previously used and Microsoft set it up with a live.com# in front of the email address, but that didn't work. I also read through other suggestions within this forum, such as using the format of johndoe@gmail.onmicrosoft.com". That also didn't work. In both cases I received the following error message: "This username may be incorrect. Make sure you typed it correctly. Otherwise, contact your admin.

At this point I don't know what else to do. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @G2Crafted ,

There are some limitations for the types of email addresses that you can use to sign-up for Power BI:

1.Power BI requires that you use a work or school email address to sign up. You can't sign up using email addresses provided by consumer email services or telecommunication providers. This includes outlook.com, hotmail.com, gmail.com, and others.

2.After you sign up, you can invite guest users to see your Power BI content with any email address, including personal accounts.

3.You can sign-up for Power BI with .gov or .mil addresses, but this requires a different process. For more info, see Enroll your US Government organization in the Power BI service.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @G2Crafted ,

There are some limitations for the types of email addresses that you can use to sign-up for Power BI:

1.Power BI requires that you use a work or school email address to sign up. You can't sign up using email addresses provided by consumer email services or telecommunication providers. This includes outlook.com, hotmail.com, gmail.com, and others.

2.After you sign up, you can invite guest users to see your Power BI content with any email address, including personal accounts.

3.You can sign-up for Power BI with .gov or .mil addresses, but this requires a different process. For more info, see Enroll your US Government organization in the Power BI service.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Amy, 

Could you confirm item 2 above?  I've shared a report with someone who has a personal account, but when they go to sign into Power BI they get the error with the personal report.  

Thanks!

edhans
Super User
Super User

Create a support ticket to Microsoft via the link at the very bottom of this page. You have to have a Pro license to do this.

I don't know how it worked before. Outlook.com email addresses are not supported for Power BI usage. Are you sure you are not remembering the facts correctly?

Power BI requires that you use a work or school email address to sign up. You can't sign up using email addresses provided by consumer email services or telecommunication providers. This includes outlook.com, hotmail.com, gmail.com, and others.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hello! Thanks, I will submit a trouble ticket. I will also reach out to my Business Partner at Microsoft, he may be able to point me in the right direction as well. 

As for your statement below... I am using my business email address and not .outlook. I just meant that we use a Microsoft product for our companies email. 

Outlook.com email addresses are not supported for Power BI usage

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.