Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues sorting Stacked Column Visualsation by Month

Hi

I've got a simple visualisationof some Sales vs Target data:

SalesData.PNGSAlesGRaph.PNG

Only problem is the column sort order - I want it by month, but for some reason PBI has sorted it in descending revenue order.

I've tried to correct this by selecting the "Month" column and using Modelling/Sort by, but there is no "Month Number" option offered:

WhatIget.PNG

Could anyone explain this and offer a solution?

Thanks!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Anonymous,

in a nutshell. PowerBI does not know that the column "Month" is a Month/Date column. For PowerBI it is a text column containing string values.

What options do you have now?
Best Practice -> You create a Date Dimension and work with it. (Link to an article about it)

-OR-

1. You create a calculated column that represents the number of months. That means -> Jan = 01, Feb = 02 and so on.
  2. This column you combine with the year column so that the new column looks like this -> 201801, 201802 ....
  3. On the basis of this column you can then sort your [Month] column.

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

View solution in original post

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Please go through the below steps.

MonthOrder-1.JPGMonthOrder-2.JPG

Select the "Table" in left side pane "Queries", click on "Merge Queries" and selece the common column from both the tables(Table,Order). Once it's loaded, expand the column "Order". So that you will get few other columns, you can keep order column and remove other columns.(Order.Month) and rename Order.order as Order.

MonthOrder-3.JPG

Once it's done, please click on "Close and Apply".

Home >> Data View >.> select the column (Month) >> Click on "Sort by Column drop down" >> select "Order".

MonthOrder-4.JPG

Remove the existing Bar Chart and create a new one.

MonthOrder-5(Final Output).JPG

Hope it will helpful to resolve your issue.

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Best Regards,

Venal.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Please go through the below steps.

MonthOrder-1.JPGMonthOrder-2.JPG

Select the "Table" in left side pane "Queries", click on "Merge Queries" and selece the common column from both the tables(Table,Order). Once it's loaded, expand the column "Order". So that you will get few other columns, you can keep order column and remove other columns.(Order.Month) and rename Order.order as Order.

MonthOrder-3.JPG

Once it's done, please click on "Close and Apply".

Home >> Data View >.> select the column (Month) >> Click on "Sort by Column drop down" >> select "Order".

MonthOrder-4.JPG

Remove the existing Bar Chart and create a new one.

MonthOrder-5(Final Output).JPG

Hope it will helpful to resolve your issue.

Best Regards,

Venal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I've done as you suggested but I keep getting the wrong results. I've tried using a table wuith month name but that doesn't work either. Here's what UI get:

Table is sorted by alpha month name, graph by revenue. WTF.PNG

See https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmxJyApgEAcYgv0OGkLkcYXpbAHnDw?e=0EaKh1

JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Anonymous,

in a nutshell. PowerBI does not know that the column "Month" is a Month/Date column. For PowerBI it is a text column containing string values.

What options do you have now?
Best Practice -> You create a Date Dimension and work with it. (Link to an article about it)

-OR-

1. You create a calculated column that represents the number of months. That means -> Jan = 01, Feb = 02 and so on.
  2. This column you combine with the year column so that the new column looks like this -> 201801, 201802 ....
  3. On the basis of this column you can then sort your [Month] column.

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

Anonymous
Not applicable

All working now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.