Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues connecting Power BI to a MySQL DB

I'm having a really frustrating time connecting Power BI to a MySQL DB.

Originally I had issues and then followed a post on here where someone identified that it was a MySQL Connector issues. If you used 8.0.17 then you got the message:

An error happened when reading from the provider 'Could not load file or assembly 'Renci.sshnet.....the system can not find the file specified.

I downgraded Connector to 8.0.16 and then I was able to connect fine.

Subsequently I recently went back up to 8.0.17 for another piece of software however now when I downgrade I get a invalid credentials message instead on Power BI and can not connect.

Fault finding wise I've checked the credentials and they are still fine. If I used MySQL Workbench it connects straight away to the same server. I've tried using Connector 8.0.16 and 8.0.15 and I've tried reinstalling everything and restarting my computer but still the same result. Frustratingly PowerBI doesn't give me any more details other than we couldn't authenticate with credentials provided.

Capture.PNG

Any advice?

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Before you can connect to a MySQL database, you need to install MySQL Connector/Net 6.6.5 for Microsoft Windows on your computer. Select the driver that matches your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).

After installing the MySQL connector, refer to this blog to connect to MySQL in Power BI Desktop. You need to provide Server credentials not windows.  See the similar case: SQL - "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided".

If the connection still fails in Power BI Desktop, please check that if you are able to connect to the MySQL database in MySQL workbench, ensure that MySQL workbench is installed in the same machine as Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I've read lots of different threads on here but none seem to help. I've tried adding and removing 4 different Connetors 8.0.14 to 8.0.17 and none work. 8.0.17 is the only one that gives the error message I mentioned initially.

I've got Workbench installed and can connect to the DB fine using that.

I'm definitely using the correct server details and entering details for the Database not Windows.

I've also just managed to get a connection to Tableau working using the same crednetials so I know they are fine.

the only thing I can think of is that it is a SSL issue. I initially couldn't connect using Tableau and their Support showed me how to create an SSL folder and an msql file that pointed to the cert location. I don't see a similar way of doing this for Power BI and annoyingly I can seem to find any way to talk to anyone at Microsoft about this.

Tom

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually as a further update I installed the Connector you linked and removed all other Connectors. Now I get a different error. I assume this means I just need to find the correct Connector version.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.