Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kressb
Helper V
Helper V

Issue with using "# of Months Complete" to do a calculation

I need to take Total Amount for a Year, Divided by a Base to get a Calculation (the measure).
It must flex with each year, so for this year, it must prorate the Calculation since the year is not complete.
Desired Result:

DesiredResult.051021.JPG

My issue is there is not always an "amount" for every month of the year, but I need it to divide by the total # of months completed regardless.

Ex - "Amounts" table:
Amounts Table.png

Fiscal Year 2020: "Nineteen" only had data for April, May, and June.

I still need it to calculate as 12 Mons Total / 12 Mons Complete, but 
       Var _Num = DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr])

-- > only returns 3

Var _Num = Calculate(DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr]),Allselected())

--> Returns total from Fiscal Year 2020 and Fiscal Year 2021

How do I return the maximum count regardless as to if that Name as a value for all months?
I wanted to do something like:

Var _Num = Calculate(DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr]),Allselected(),Filter(Amounts,Amounts[Fiscal Year]=Earlier(Amounts[Fiscal Year])
    but I can't use Earlier in a Measure Context... 

7 REPLIES 7
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @kressb 

You can change 'earlier' to 'selectedvalue' in measure.

The result you want to get is not 3 or 8. What should the result be? It’s not difficult, you just need to make it clear what you want, but I’m a little confused from your description. So if you still can't get the correct result after modifying the code, please explain it again, we can help you soon.

v-janeyg-msft_0-1620983707328.png

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-janeyg-msft apologies:
For 2020 - instead of 3, I need 12.

For 2021 - I need 9 

If both 2020 and 2021 are selected or a "Total" Column is shown: 21 (12+9)

(Month Complete of the "Desired Table")

I tried 
Var _Num =  Calculate(DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr]),
                                     Filter(AllSelected(Amounts),Amounts[Fiscal Period]=Max(Amounts[Fiscal Period]))
                                      )
This works perfectly to display the columns the problem is if I want to see a "Total".

It only gives the months for the max Fiscal Period (2021, which is through 9 months) rather than adding 9+12 = 21.
It makes sense that is the result since that is what I have written, but I don't know how to fix it..

**update:
Var _Num = Calculate(DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr]),
                                     Filter(AllSelected(Amounts),Amounts[Fiscal Period]=(Amounts[Fiscal Period]))
                                      )
works perfectly for the "Total" but not for the individual Year Columns.

Is there some way to get both to work in the same measure? is it impossible?

@v-janeyg-msft @amitchandak @Jihwan_Kim any ideas? I'm desperate 

Hi, @kressb 

I'm back. I will help you but I still need more information, the data() you provided don't show 'Amounts[MonthYr]' column, I can’t see how many there are so I don’t know how 12+9 is calculated. If there is no logic, You can define it manually. If has, please share more data for reference.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Amounts[MonthYr] is the "Date" column here:

Amounts Table.png

I just accidently labeled it differently in the picture.

Hi, @kressb 

In your picture, I only can see 'fiscal period in 2020' has 2 months and 'fiscal period in 2021' has 5months. I have asked you, but you didn't tell me why the result of 12+9 occurred.

If you have no logic, you can directly define it manually:

measure =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE (
        Amounts,
        "a", IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Amounts'[Fiscal Period] ) = "2020", 9, 12 )
    ),
    [a]
)

Or try to modify it?

v-janeyg-msft_0-1621304051593.png

If it doesn't solve your problem, Can you share some complete data that we need to know about the calculation results?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@kressb , with help from date table

This year Sales = CALCULATE(DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))/12
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))/12

//Only year vs Year, not a level below. But with independent table

This Year = CALCULATE(DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])))
Last Year = CALCULATE(DistinctCountNoBlank(Amounts[MonthYr]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])-1))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.