Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aukev
Helper III
Helper III

Issue with the new composite model for Direct Query when connecting to a dataset

The issue I`m having is that when connecting to a dataset (not in the my workspaces workspace) I don't see the option to modify the model. This particular dataset has a SSAS as datasource. Could that cause the issue? When trying this with another dataset it works fine. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@aukev , using an SSAS datasource as DirectQuery is not yet supported.

ebeery_0-1609873360820.png

See the limitations section here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/directquery-for-power-bi-datasets-and-azure-analysis-servic...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @aukev 

The feature is now supported by Azure Azure Analysis Services instead of SSAS. SSAS as a Direct Query will be available in the future. As this feature is currently in preview, here are some things you can try to explore this feature for yourself:

• Connecting to data from various sources: Import (such as files), Power BI datasets, Azure Analysis Services
  • Creating relationships between different data sources
  • Writing measures that use fields from different data sources
  • Creating new columns for tables from Power BI datasets of Azure Analysis Services
  • Creating visuals that use columns from different data sources

You may give your feedback here to improve Power BI.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aukev
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks @ebeery I guess that also means that datasets based on these won't work with directquery?

I don't know the answer to that, but I would hesitate to jump directly to that assumption.  

Test it and see - I thought that once a dataset is published to the service it is essentially an Azure Analysis Services dataset, so perhaps it would still work?

ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@aukev , using an SSAS datasource as DirectQuery is not yet supported.

ebeery_0-1609873360820.png

See the limitations section here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/directquery-for-power-bi-datasets-and-azure-analysis-servic...

@ebeeryThank you very much, I must have missed that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.