Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with slicer- Default value

Team ,

I have a very strange behavior in one of my power bi desktop files. My file is linked to the analysis server and data is coming into the file from the server.

There is a security that is in place for the user in the cube itself to limit the amount of access to the data the user has.

Now I am facing this very strange behavior where I can see the values in one of the dropdowns limited to the user, but the user can see the entire data on the page. He has to manually select the values from the slicer to see data related to this access.

I have tried many variations even created the file again but not able to resolve this issue.

3 REPLIES 3
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to my understanding, it may be caused by different permissions for the data source between you and the user. Can you share the roles and permissions of yourself and the user in the analysis service? Is the user the server administrator of the analysis service instance?

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Since the data is related to a live project I cannot share the pbi file here. But I am sharing pix here which will explain the issue with the file.

So end-use is not admin he is a simple user and has been granted access to one of the practice sbu in the cube :- I and D Global but he can see the entire dataset as you can see below

Defualt.png

Now once the user manually selects the value I and D from the slicer he can see the values in the visuals. Ideally, this should be loaded by default

values.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

At first, you need to verify that the current Windows credentials used by the user to connect to the data source can only see the data of I and D. For example, use the SQL Server Profiler to track queries.

v-kkf-msft_0-1615272262573.jpeg

If you publish the PBIX file to the Service and then share it with the user, then he can see all data if the user is contributor, member or administrator role of the workspace.

The following are my test result.
The results seen by users who have permission to all data are:

v-kkf-msft_1-1615272276342.jpeg

The results seen by users who only have access to part of the data are:

v-kkf-msft_2-1615272288566.jpeg

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.