Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dilkushpatel
Helper III
Helper III

Issue with publishing pbix file

Hi,

I started getting this error from last two days while publishing pbix from desktop.

Publishing failed for a unknown reason.

(FailedToRefreshpackageAfterimport)

Even when I import from web it fails.

i'm not sure why it is trying to refresh, i can't find any setting for same.

How to fix this?

Also my power bi gateway keeps showing operation timed out and does not allow me to do anything.

Thanks,

Dilkush

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After deleting and re-publishing pbix it worked fine.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
mahendran
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Is it possible to pubish pbix file to powebi Web and then puplish the report to web(embedd code) using powershell.

Thanks,

Mahendran Raman

horvathzs

Hi there!

Got a similar issue early today several times. I tried to publish a cca 6,5 MB size report (replace an existing dataset and report), but did not go through. Tried with a larger one with the same result.

Even cancellling took ages to perform.

I deleted dataset, report and dashboard from service and tried to publish it from the scratch, but no success.

Tried it again half an hour ago and voilá! Now it's ok with the speed!

We're a huge telco company and the issue is-was not with internet connection or bandwith, definitely.

Thanks for all community members' kind contribution!

🙂

skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes, I experienced exactly the same today. Central issue on Power BI, then.

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.
skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

I had a similar issue yesterday and tried several things including the 'new file' -> 'publish' approach to no avail.

Today I published my original file but NOT to a group workspace but to 'My Workspace'. This worked without problems as it was the first time I did that (so no update of the dataset).

However, after this, I published the same file to the group workspace and this time the update did work.

I have no way of knowing, whether this was a coincidence or actually related to the interim publishing to My Workspace, but perhaps you want to give it a try.

Best,
Sascha

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.
a_mixed_life
Resolver I
Resolver I

I'm still having this issue. I've even removed my data sets from web and started over. I've even reduced my query so that I'm only using 40MB and STILL getting the same issue. This just started for me on Monday.

Anyone have any new updates on this?

Kris

I've had this same problem multiple times. Microsoft should see to it and try fixing it.

Last time I was able to fix the problem by going to www,PowerBI.com -->Choose my dataset -->See database credentials (The credentials have disappeared and changed from DB credentials to windows type) -->Set correct credentials. After that publishing from PowerBI desktop worked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem, except when I deleted the source from the web and republished it caused me to get a 404 error instead. It's happening with most of the pbix files published under my account, and just started a couple days ago. 

There was a reported issue with the service today ((Admin Center in Office 365) , which was solved a couple of hours (at least for my region)

"Incident Start Time: Sunday, February 14, 2016, at 10:27 PM UTC

User Impact: Affected users may be unable to publish workbooks"

I am having this problem starting today. It happens for new as well as old files. It needs a fix quickly

Publishing a report has become a huge task. 70% of time the publishing fails, it only goes through if you are very luck.

PBI team, please look into this, this is a major issue.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you updating a pbix file or is this a new pbix file? What happens if you save the pbix, close Desktop and go into the service and choose Get Data | File | your pbix file?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Same issue irrespective of whether I tried to import option from web or publish from desktop.

pbix is already there on web, updating same by replacing.

I'm able to publish to different account (tried both new one adn updating)

looks like something specific to one account.

planning delete from web and start over.

After deleting and re-publishing pbix it worked fine.

Hi dilkushpatel, what you going to do if you still face same issue. Are you going to delete web version and republish Pbix file. if yes - how many you will be doing the same error. do you know the root cause of this issue, may be this will helps to resolve this isseu.

I am getting the same problem. It is hapenning when I publish an existing as well as a new report from Desktop, and also when I try to import a pbix file from the web service.

Is this a problem at my end, or with the Power BI Service?

hI Cmn have you any better soluction apart from deleting and republishing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.