Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kid_Koala
Frequent Visitor

Issue with merging data while using Power Bi for SEO

I'm using Power Bi for SEO, position analysis. Got two tables. First be like:

Keywords    Position on 7/08/2017
A                                10
B                                11
C                                12

The second one is:

Keywords        Position on 07/09/2017
A                                 20       

B                                 21

C                                 22

D                                 13

E                                  14

How can I merge them into one, which is like:

Keywords           Position on 07/09/2017             Position on 7/08/2017

A                                      10                                                  20
B                                      11                                                  21
C                                      12                                                  22
D                                      --                                                   13
E                                       --                                                   14

Sorry for the noob question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Kid_Koala,

Merge Table 2 with Table 1

Merge.PNG

Then Expand,

Expand.PNG

There is no duplication. I guess this is what you are looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

So it probably should be pointed out that a side-by-side merge of 2 days, just one time is fine.  But if the data is coming in daily, then this approach cannot scale.

Instead the data should be appended into a single table in a normal structure:

Keywords     Date   Position

A                7/8/17    10

B                7/8/17    11

A                7/9/17    20       
B                7/9/17    21

etc

Then rely on Matrix visual or transform as part of the visual display and not as part of the table model.

www.CahabaData.com

Much thanks for your answer, @CahabaData

Sure, I understand the scalability thing. Just needed that one for a one time report.

sumit4732
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @Kid_Koala,

You can use the merge option in edit queries.

Go to Edit queries -> Combine -> Select "Keyword" column as the key from both the tables.

And then expand the table by clicking on the icon next to new column post merge.

Hope this help 🙂 

-Sumit

@sumit4732 )
Hi mate,

The problem with you approach is, when I do it like this, I've got two columns with keywords: from table 1 and from table 2.
It looks like:

keywords table 1       Position table 1         keywords table 2             Position table 2
    A                                           10                                A                                      20

B                                            11                               B                                       21

C                                            12                               C                                       22

D                                       13

E                                        14

I want to merge duplicates in keywords, but the best solution I found until now is to 'Merge tables' by keyword, so I get like:

Keywords          position 1             position 2

A                               10                          null

A                             null                          20

B                               11                          null

B                              null                         21

C                              12                          null

C                              null                        22

D                              null                        13

E                               null                       14

Then, I just click 'Delete Duplicates' on a column with Keywords, but it kills all the rows in position 2 with numbers, turning it into 'null'. I tryied to 'delete empty rows' in position 2 column, but it both didn't execute and seems like nonsense to me.

Hi @Kid_Koala,

Merge Table 2 with Table 1

Merge.PNG

Then Expand,

Expand.PNG

There is no duplication. I guess this is what you are looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong

@SivaMani thank you kind man! You've saved my life.

@Kid_Koala,

It's my pleasure

Regards,

Siva

BeemsC
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hello,

If you have a relationship between the 2 tables:
Just go to the query editor -> go to the table you want to add the column too -> On the top of ur screen select Add column -> Select custom column -> Insert the data you want to add -> Apply changes

If something is unclear let me know.
Good luck !

Thanks for your message, @BeemsC.

Unfortunately, that didn't help. There is a relations between those two tables, however, when I click 'custom column' I can only choose from the first table columns. When I try to do the same with the second one, I only can choose from the second table columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.