Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with inputting data into Power BI from Excel

I'm trying to load 2 Excel sheets into Power Bi to do a data comparison.

I originally wanted to insert 3 sheets from each Excel file, but Power Bi would close without an error.

So next I tried to insert just 1 sheet, after a few attempts I managed to get it to work.

Now I want to insert another sheet to compare data, but I get the following error:

“Something went wrong”, an error occurred while the model of the item or data source “OpenConectionError”. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source.

The Excel file is saved on my local C drive, so I’m not sure what the error is. In the background it shows the Load window and “Detecting Relationships….”.

Does anybody know how to solve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

However the actual issue can be identified after reviewing the excel files, still I would suggest to try the following option.

In the Power BI desktop options go to Data Load and uncheck the following two options and then try to get data

1. Import relationships from data sources
  2. Autodetect new relationships after data is loadedDataLoad Issues.gif

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry I may have jumped the gun too soon 🙂 

I can input data as it is now, without an issue, which is great.

However, when I run a query, to delete unwanted columns and change column headings, I get the following error;

Exception to type “System.OutOfMemoryException” was thrown.

Does this just mean that my laptop cannot handle the data or is there another settings that I can change?

@Anonymous

Can you confirm which if you are using 32 bit or 64 bit version of Power BI ?

affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

However the actual issue can be identified after reviewing the excel files, still I would suggest to try the following option.

In the Power BI desktop options go to Data Load and uncheck the following two options and then try to get data

1. Import relationships from data sources
  2. Autodetect new relationships after data is loadedDataLoad Issues.gif

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Affan, 

Thank you so much, that fixed my issue. I can now load the 3 sheets that I wanted to 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors