Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with connecting Excel shared on OneDrive

Hi everyone, I have been using OneDrive to store data and connect to PowerBI through web. This works fine even with Excel files that are not in my OneDrive but being shared to me. Recently, when I checked one of my report, the data in Excel file that is being shared to me (not in my One Drive but I have access and url link to it) is not working. Below is the picture of the message:

Capture.PNG

This is not an issue before so I wonder if the new update mess this up? Please suggest the solution because I don't want to migrate all the shared files to specific folder in One Drive. Thanks.

Duc

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  - How did you connect with a document that was shared to you? I would like to do this as well but have been running into restrictions.  

thanks! 

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your requirement, please follow the steps in this official document.

If you still need help, feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

Thank you for the response. Like I mentioned, I have been using this method for a long-time and there's no problem with this. Recently, when I am opening up a PowerBI desktop file to make some adjustment this connection (which works before) is no longer working. I am sure I do it correctly because it works for over a year, the message in the picture is what I see. I also try to redo this from scratch (similar to the documentation you sent) and it still shows me the message. I tried this with other file being shared to me (not in my One DRive) and they have same issues. That is why I was thinking that this way doesn't work with shared file anymore. It still works when I connect to a file on my One Drive. Thanks.

Duc

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my research and tests, I have a little confused about how do you connect the shared OneDrive Excel.

If it is convenient, could you share the details steps?

In addition, please try the ways below which may be helpful.

1. Please check if you have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop 2.69.5467.2151.

2. Clear the permission and connect it again.

3. In addition, please check if the excel you want to connect has been removed in the OneDrive. You could get the link again and have a try.

By my tests, if I remove the excel in OneDrive, I will get the same issue as you upload in your first post.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.