Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mpannella1
Regular Visitor

Issue with calculating period over period variance

Hello!

First off let me start by saying I am brand new to Power BI. 😬

I am trying to calculate a period-over-period variance and display that in my matrix as seen in the screenshot below.

It works just fine when all dates are selected. However, in the example below, when I filter the date to be just fiscal year 2022 (top left in the screenshot) the first date shows a variance against zero because the prior period is not selected in the drop down. Ideally I would like this measure to work without me having to select the prior period.

You can see the formula expression that I have written - where am I going wrong here? 

mpannella1_0-1642706783011.png

3 REPLIES 3
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mpannella1 
Please correct me if I wrongly understood your issue . When you choose year 2022, the value of the first month is not the difference from the last month of last year, but the difference from 0, is it ?
From the formula you provided, it is indeed the difference between the calculation and the previous month. Can you provide your sample(delete sensitive data) ? It will help us handle the problem better.

Best Regard
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello! Sorry for the late reply as other areas of work had me distracted for a bit.

My data is housed in an excel file and is setup as seen in the first screenshot below. The yellow fields are calendar/fiscal year specific fields that I have added myself (our fiscal year runs from April > March). Outside of this the data is organized first by month-end, then by country, then by whichever membership tier the user resides in and finally the count of users within that membership tier.

Note: Membership types were deleted due to sensitivity

mpannella1_0-1643311242604.png

A requirement of senior management is to be able to view all data using the fiscal calendar, hence me adding in the fiscal calendar fields.

Below you will find another screenshot of my matrix with a depiction of the setup for that matrix in the second screenshot. The third screenshot is the measure formula that can be cycled through using the filter drop down in the top right (Toggle | Net Adds). 

mpannella1_0-1643314696348.png

mpannella1_2-1643312586529.png

mpannella1_1-1643314742988.png

Now the issue is when I select ONLY FY22 in the filter drop down on the top left (Toggle | Date) the first period results in an incorrect MoM Net Add figure because for some reason it is subtracting versus zero. However when I select the prior Fiscal Year as well the issue goes away, except for the first month in that Fiscal Year. The issue is the same whether I select MoM/QoQ/YoY. The screenshots below show the filter selection and the way the filter is constructed.

mpannella1_5-1643313859288.png

mpannella1_10-1643314188174.png

Since my original post I did notice however that if I remove Fiscal Year/Fiscal Quarter from my filter and leave only date (as shown in the screenshots below) the issue goes away. 

mpannella1_2-1643314820782.png

mpannella1_8-1643314065008.png

mpannella1_9-1643314127464.png

I cannot figure out why it only works when I remove Fiscal Year/Quarter from my date filter. Being that it is a senior management requirment to have this functionality I need to figure this small piece out. I'm still pretty new to the software though so I am sure it is a very obvious error I am making. Please let me know if you need more details to help address the issue I am facing.

Cheers everyone! 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mpannella1 , Refer to my blog and video on that

TI with date table should help

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
last month Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),previousmonth('Date'[Date]))
next month Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),nextmonth('Date'[Date]))
this month = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date])))
last MTD (complete) Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH))))

Power BI — Month on Month with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-mtd-questions-time-intelligence-3-5-64b0b4a4090e
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LUBbvcxtKA

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.