Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amitnhpBI
Frequent Visitor

Issue with autorefresh while publishing PBIX file

Hi,

Need one help.

I have imported data in power bi desktop file using Sql server query and was able to configure gateway for this file in PowerBI.com.

Problem is - whenever i am making changes to the desktop file and publishing it , file is getting autorefreshed on PowerBI.Com.  I dont want auto refresh when i am publishing the file. I can see in refresh history as "On Demand".

I am not able to deselect the gateway which i chose initially. Can you suggest how i can stop this. 

Thanks in Advance.

3 REPLIES 3

@amitnhpBIPublishing the Desktop file with the same name as the dataset will always update the data in the Service immediately. I would recommend one of the following if you don't want an immediate publish.

1) Publish to a Dev workspace if you need to verify output in the Service

2) Save the PBIX as a different name and publish before publishing the original

Both these assume you want some level of data verification in the Service prior to pushing the change to the dataset that is shared. There is no Dev->Prod rolled approach at the moment.

If you are talking about the visual layout, then there is a 3rd option which is better. You could publish an App, this would allow you to use a Dev->Prod roll out for changing visuals etc in that you have to manually publish the changes to the shared App prior to the end user seeing them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for your response. In my case, i have to make changes directly in my production PBX file which is triggering the job on the server .

One weird issue i noticed today is same file when my colleague is publishing on the server,it is not triggering On Demand refresh.

Do you know if there is any user setting which can cause the difference in behaviour.

@amitnhpBI I am not aware of any setting, but if your colleague is not refreshing the data set in the PBIX file, and just making visual changes or adding metrics without refreshing then the dataset in the PBIX file wouldn't be new, and thus not refresh the data in the Service upon publish.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.