Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

surfingjoe
Helper I
Helper I

Issue with Totals for a visual

Power BIPower BIExcelExcelThe Power BI photo is simply a count patients per day and created a date grouping by month.  Each Month the count is correct but the total is not a grand total (possibly the distinct count for all the months of the measured dates).  The "Excel" formula its showing the "Grand Total" or another words the sum of all the counts in the above rows.  Is there a way to force the total for a measure to become a "Grand Total" instead of what ever method the visual comes up with for that Visual????

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you wrap your function in SUMX (Values...) it will force the grand total to the sum of the above.

Total Patients Per Day = 
SUMX ( 
    Values( Table3[Month & Year] ), 
    CALCULATE( SUM ( Table3[Patients Per Day] ) )
)

I don't understand why I'd use

Values( Table3[Month & Year] )

for the grouping of dates by month??

Would it help to show the my original forumla for the measure patients per day

Patients per day = (CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Source[Patient full name]),Source[Date]))

its real simple patients can have multiple orders per day and all I want is a unique countof patients per day.  The counts per day are correct but the visual, I believe is giving me a distinct count over the entire year as the total instead grand total.  

I tried simply using Value for the above formula and that comes up with wrong numbers for some strange reason

Hi @surfingjoe,

@Anonymous 's solution should work if you replace the SUM with DISTINCTCOUNT. The [Month & Year] is the column from your Excel file. It could be like below. 

Total Patients Per Day =
SUMX (
    VALUES ( Table3[Date(bins)] ),
    CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table3[Patients Per Day] ) )
)

Because it provides the month context for every month before summing up. 

Can you share a sample if you still have issues?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I do have a sample but my permissions do not allow me to attach a file

Hi @surfingjoe ,

You can upload it to the cloud drive like OneDrive then share the download link here. Please mask the sensitive parts.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.