Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samihuq
Helper III
Helper III

Issue with Oracle Connectivity

Hi,

Up untill yesterday i could import data from Oracle Database. Last day i downlaoded the new PowerBI Desktop Update and since then i am receiving the bellow error everytime i am trying to connect.

Details: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'"

Note: I am now connecting PowerBI from a different pc that has previous build, currently afraid of upgraing it, please advice as we are trying to go for production this week!!

Warm Regards,

Sami

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having this same issue.PowerBIOracleError.png

I can reproduce this issue which seems like a permission issue to the oracle drivers via the Power BI Desktop client. If I change the permission of the application/folders it resolves this issue. However, I do not know how to correctly fix this permission problem without breaking the windows store Power BI App. 

I aslo, tried to debug the exe in visual studio, when I run the app in debug mode it doesn't have the issue.  I hope Microsft will fix this issue.

Thanks in advance!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @samihuq,

Please verify you have installed the Oracle client software properly according to this article: Installing the Oracle client.

Also you can check this similar thread: PowerBI desktop 64Bit oracle connection error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I go ahead with a ticket on this issue? I haven't seen a response.

Sorry for belated responds. Please go ahead and close the ticket as i have moved away from Oracle Database to SQL Server.

Hi! How did you change the permissions to get this work? I have the same issue, where I installed ODAC into an existing client_1 as I have set up a test environment of Oracle database, and OBIEE Oracle BI, I had already another istance.

I have seen other threads about this error message saying it is mixing of 32 bit and 64 bit clients.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue, Restarting Power BI to run as administrator resolves the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.