Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rcrunkhorn
Frequent Visitor

Issue with Legend in Stacked Bar Chart

I am plotting data related to goods being issued to service various equipment. When I place Cost vs Date on a bar chart I get the expected values. If I add the Description or Item Code of each part to the chart as a legend, many of my records are excluded, resulting in a lower than expected value. If I apply a filter to view just a single day, the chart sometimes, but not always, produces the correct result.

I have confirmed that the values displayed in the chart with no legend are indeed correct.

I am experiencing this issue with the current version of Power BI Desktop, as well as on the web service. This issue was not present in the previous version of Power BI Desktop. When using the previous version of Power BI, I would get the expected results for all charts in the Desktop app, but incorrect results once published to the web service.

Edit: my only theory is that this may be related to the number of itemcodes I'm trying to use in a legend. The day that displays correctly (in the screenshot below) when filtered (July 5, 2016) has 48 distinct itemcodes. The one that does not display correctly has 73 distinct itemcodes. The entire month of July has 184 distinct itemcodes.

Can anyone tell me what the cause of this issue might be?

These charts are of the same data, one with a legend based on Item Codes, the other withoutThese charts are of the same data, one with a legend based on Item Codes, the other withoutFiltered for this day, we get the expected resultFiltered for this day, we get the expected resultFiltered for a different day, we do not get the expected result.Filtered for a different day, we do not get the expected result.

1 REPLY 1
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi rcrunkhorn,

I just tested the legend item number at my side with the Stacked Bar Chart visual in Power BI desktop, Version: 2.39.4526.362 64-bit (September 2016), and there is no short of values in the chart:

21.PNG

Plesae first verify there is no additional filters applied to those Visuals, page level or report level filters, also verify Slicer and the Visual Interaction settings.

Besides, could you please share the Power BI Desktop Version here?

Clicking Power BI Desktop File ->Help ->About

In addition, what is the "Part Itemcode", is it a calculated column or a static one? If there are filters applied in the formula (if a calculated column), then the showed item would also be shorten. Please take a look at this part as well.

Please reply back if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.