Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nsadams87xx
Helper III
Helper III

Issue with Drilldown understanding

I have a line graph that is showing patient volume per hour and I want to have the graph show the volumes by month.  The trick is I want the graph to slow a year's worth of previous data starting with the current date.  However when I make a date hierarchy and drill down to my month, the graph shows my months in either ascending, descending, or date order.  After thinking about it, that does make sense but it's odd that I had this working the way I want before but now isn't.  I had this done before but I redid my data model because it was insanely inefficient but when I rebuilt the graph it's not behaving in the same way.

What I had and want:

3.JPG

What I currently have and don't want:

1.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nsadams87xx ,

It seems the X-axis isn't a hierarchy as we can see from your images. Please refer to the snapshot below and correct the X-axis.

Issue-with-Drilldown-understanding

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @nsadams87xx ,

That's true. The "Mark as date table" gives the full control of dates to the analysts. Please refer to desktop-date-tables#setting-your-own-date-table for details.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nsadams87xx ,

It seems the X-axis isn't a hierarchy as we can see from your images. Please refer to the snapshot below and correct the X-axis.

Issue-with-Drilldown-understanding

Best Regards,

So this is an interesting observation.  My old copy has a hierarchy which I modified for my needs (just took out "day") but it appears to have been auto generated. 

1.1.JPG

My new copy does not have this characteristic.

2.1.JPG

I just figured out that me marking my date dimension table as a date table was causing this issue.  I'll accept a solution.  Why is that though?  Is it because if you mark a date table as such it expects you to handle the table completely on your own?

Hi @nsadams87xx ,

That's true. The "Mark as date table" gives the full control of dates to the analysts. Please refer to desktop-date-tables#setting-your-own-date-table for details.

Best Regards,

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors